Why do questions have to be "locked for editing"?

I saw a typo I had and wanted to fix it. It has an "edit" button down in the corner! Why can't I use it? Honestly!?! That doesn't make sense.
(CM moms can be quite snarky over a simple typo, ya know)
Why would it be something you'd have to earn at a certain level? Makes no sense.

Jambo4

Asked by Jambo4 at 6:22 PM on Nov. 9, 2010 in About CafeMom

• editing isn't unlocked at any certain level, ever. You can only edit your question before you have an answer. Once your question has been responded to, editing is locked out.
    Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 5:47 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• It's done so you can't change your question after someone answers it to make them look bad. Like, you could post a question: Do you think it's important to tuck your kids in at night? And after 4 or 5 people answer with a lot of YES and Absolutely, you could go back in and change the question to Do you think it's important to beat your kids every night?, but those answers would still be there and they'd have no way to know unless they read the question again.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:31 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Editing isn't unlocked at any level. And, you're right, it makes no sense. We can edit in groups and our journals.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 11:00 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I can see some logic to that. Bummer.
    Jambo4

Comment by Jambo4 (original poster) at 11:02 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Once answers have started, you can't edit the question.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 1:22 PM on Nov. 15, 2010