Is it a bad sign if its hard to find a heartbeat?

Im almost 15 weeks and today i went to the dr. and they had a hard time finding a heartbeat....idk if thats normal, should i be panicking as much as I am right now? Has that happened to anyone else?

nic0ley0

Asked by nic0ley0 at 6:25 PM on Nov. 9, 2010 in Pregnancy

• No,not yet. He /she could be on your posterior wall of the uterus

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:26 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• not necessarily. The baby can move into a position where it's hard to find the heart beat. It happened to me a lot.

matthew9_22

Answer by matthew9_22 at 6:27 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Do not freak out. There is no point. Get more info and ask the doctor what it means and why it happened. Sometimes they do have trouble getting the heartbeat.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 6:27 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I agree. This early it's not a concern. Relax Momma.. all will be fine.
    Jambo4

Answer by Jambo4 at 6:27 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Sometimes it happens, the baby is very tiny at 15 weeks. As long as they eventually found it, it's no big deal.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 6:27 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• its possible to not hear it right away but they usually don't let you leave until they hear one
    nj_pa_girl

Answer by nj_pa_girl at 6:29 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Oh.. I did want to add.. yes, I had them not be able to find the heartbeat one time. I was about 6 months. They tried and tried and then left the room to go find a different machine. The new machine found it and they mentioned that the first machine had been giving them trouble.. GREAT.. scare the snot out of me! Throw that thing away! The stress they gave me! GRRR
    Jambo4

Answer by Jambo4 at 6:29 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• they had trouble finding it with my 2nd child, and the doctor tried and tried and could not find it so she sent me to get an ultrasound. THAT scared the shit out of me! they did discover that she was fine, but then a new problem arised, low amnio fluid. that turned out to be nothing and then it ended up being a new problem. all in all i had tons of alleged "problems" with her and she's 100% healthy. anyways, as long as they do eventually find it you two are okay. i would not be panicking unless the doctor is.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 6:52 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• thank you all for your answers =]
    nic0ley0

Comment by nic0ley0 (original poster) at 6:53 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Not at all. He or she is very tiny still at this point. It could also be just the doctor, My OBGYN has a few doctors at their practice. Jane (she likes being called by her first name instead of Dr. Gascho) always finds his heartbeat in a second and Dr. Edwards takes forever.
    slowyourrole

Answer by slowyourrole at 9:21 PM on Nov. 9, 2010