What's your speacial "thing" at holidays?

This will be the first year we have a holiday gathering at our home. It's usually at my Grandmas home but its getting a little harder for her to host so I offered to do it. She will be staying the night and teaching me how to make our Thanksgiving Feast;) So I will be making everything the way she does. ( which I want to, cuz its yummy!) But I wanted to have something special, something mm hmm good that's just mine. So, I ask, whats your famous dish/appetizer/ or dessert that everybody knows is "yours" and cant wait to get they're hands on it??? Thanks! :)

madsmom314

Asked by madsmom314 at 6:27 PM on Nov. 9, 2010 in Food & Drink

• We are vegan but I make both a peach cobbler and a cherry pie. It is my "thing" as apple and pumpkin are traditional in my family. I love that you are making your Grandmother's dinner, how special!
    mslksdh

Answer by mslksdh at 6:29 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Stuffed mushrooms are "our thing" It's super easy and really tasty. It's one package cream cheese and one pound of sausage. We usually do Jimmy Dean roll. Fry the sausage and drain. While it's frying prepare the mushrooms by cleaning and snapping the stem off then when you have mixed the cream cheese with sausage, you fill them mushrooms and then bake them for 10 min or so.. YUM
    Jambo4

Answer by Jambo4 at 6:35 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Peach cobbler or blackberry cobbler as far as desserts, and cornbread dressing =)
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 6:54 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• We make a Friendship fruit salad. Every person brings a piece of fruit, then they cut it up into a pretty bowl that I have waiting. I add Ammaretto, or you could add a little orange juice. It's different every year, depending on what fruits everyone brings, but always good.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 1:09 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• My speciality is the gravy. It takes several days to prepare, but it's worth it. A few days before Thanksgiving, I'll cook a smallish turkey and a pork roast together, in the same pan, and deglaze the pan with 2 cups of red wine. I separately roast carrots and onions and deglaze THAT pan with 2 cups of chicken stock and puree the roasted carrots and onions and save it separately. Put all of that juice together, reduce it by 1/3 and refrigerate until the fat rises and hardens, then remove and save it. On Gravy Day, make a roux with the pan fat and an equal amount of flour. However many tablespoons of flour you've used, that's the number of cups of liquid the roux will thicken, so if you need to, add beef consomme to the reduced deglazing liquid to equal the amount you need. Once the gravy has thickened up, add a big dollop of carrot/onion puree and correct the seasoning for salt and pepper.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 7:41 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Apple Cranberry Cookie Cobbler - an old Pampered Chef recipe that my family loves - it's great for breakfast too!
    MeggieSwan

Answer by MeggieSwan at 8:17 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• for me its my pies. I always make the traditional apple, cherry and pumpkin....but then I like to kick it up a notch by bringing some new ones for everyone to try. This year I am also bringing peanut butter pie, kiwi lime and swedish apple
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 8:26 AM on Nov. 10, 2010