My DS was just diagnosed with Shingles!

Has anyone had this before or know someone who has? It could be a one time thing, or it could come back time and time again. It can be painful. I don't want my son to suffer through anything... does anyone have any advice?

Sharell8710

Asked by Sharell8710 at 6:29 PM on Nov. 9, 2010 in Health

• It can come back time and time again

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:30 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• How old is your son? How do they know its shingles and not chicken pox?
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 6:30 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• my sis in law just got over Shingles. On webmd.com they have some home remidies you can use. One is to make a paste with asprin and alcohol and rub it on the sores. My sis in law said it worked instantly!
    matthew9_22

Answer by matthew9_22 at 6:32 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• It is the same virus that causes chicken pox. It is a repeat offender (comes back again and again) so your DS will have to follow his doctor's orders as far as prevention and treatment.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 6:32 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Shingles can be very painful. Don't pop any blisters, it can cause nerve damage. Just keep him as comfortable as possible and really follow the doc's advice on dealing w/ it. There's a vaccine for older people but it's pointless now. Don't freak out.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 6:33 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I thought only adults got shingles hmmm I know they can come back time and time again How old is he I Know they can be painful from what my Aunt used to say
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 6:33 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• He is 10. He doesn't have polka dots all over like chicken pox, plus he's had chicken pox as a baby. He has round and oblong rashy spots on one side of his body, focusing around his ribcage area. The spots have tiny blisters that are very puckered out. I guess these are sure signs of shingles. (especially the one side of the body factor.)
    Sharell8710

Comment by Sharell8710 (original poster) at 6:33 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I just had it last month and the sores are gone but the pain can last for years and well, I had it when I was 6 also and this is my 2nd round so my MD's think I will have the recurring pain. It's better, but not gone.
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 6:34 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Ok, just curious. I had shingles across my hip bone when my 4 yr old was a baby. I was able to do an anti viral and helped tremendously. Also I took lyrica - which is actually an anticonvulsant that also lessons nerve pain for a while too. I have never had it again. I know a few other people who have had shingles and so far theirs hasn't come back either. Not saying it can't but its not necessarily the norm.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 6:41 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• He did get meds to take for one week. Dr. said they will eventually dry up and crust over. Pain can last some time after the rashes have disappeared, and can come back at any time. She said things that may cause a flare up include: stress, change in time zones, ultraviolet light, heat, if you get sick and your immunity is down.
    Sharell8710

Comment by Sharell8710 (original poster) at 6:47 PM on Nov. 9, 2010