Do you think it's possible for a parent to properly homeschool their child, even if the parent doesn't have anything more than a high school education?

Just a random inquiry. =]

-AJ

Asked by -AJ at 6:39 PM on Nov. 9, 2010 in General Parenting

• Absolutely. Most of the girls who graduated from my HS had more knowledge than the average1st or even 2nd undergrad. I went to an inner city public school growing up & I had more knowledge & better sense at times than some of the teachers I was subjected to.

Conversely, it's just as possible that a parent with any number of degrees is inept at teaching their child. Just because a parent has an abundance of knowledge doesn't mean that they know how to teach thier child. You could be ALbert Einstein if you don't know how to teach a child, it's useless.
    BubbaLuva

Answer by BubbaLuva at 11:44 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I know this is probably going to offend some people, but in addition to what mom2twobabes said, I think it does require a measure of intelligence. There are people out there who somehow managed to obtain a high school diploma who don't seem to have a rudimentary grasp of language, mathematical concepts, or even basic life skills. In my opinion, those people would likely be doing a disservice to their children by choosing to homeschool.
    For parents who may only be high school grads but are intelligent, committed, patient, and flexible, I think it's a wonderful option.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 6:45 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Teacher here: Yes, but it requires a lot of work, preparation, time, etc on the parents part :) Also joining a home school group is a must and using tutors when needed.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 6:41 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• yes, I know it is.

just as elementary school isn't the only form of education for an elementary school age kid, college isn't the only source of knowledge for adults.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 7:13 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Yes.
    and I am not a supporter of Home schooling
    Jambo4

Answer by Jambo4 at 6:44 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Yes, it just requires a lot of planning, preparation and, sometimes, relearning the material, especially if the person wants to homeschool the high school grades. In that case however, I would recommend a pre-packaged curriculum with teacher's manuals so that the parent can learn the material in advance of teaching the children. There are also wonderful homeschooling co-ops where homeschooling parents teach a bunch of children in the area of their specialty (so a historian may teach history classes, a mathematician teaches math classes, etc).
    momof3inTN

Answer by momof3inTN at 6:49 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Absolutely. A larger percentage of homeschooled kids graduate college than those who went to public school. Must be some reason for that.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 6:59 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I think there are positives and negatives... Homeschooling kids get way more material taught to them and their personal needs met more.. but there is no way to make up for the loss of things like proms and school functions and large scale socialization.
    MamaJasmine

Answer by MamaJasmine at 6:43 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• but there is no way to make up for the loss of things like proms and school functions and large scale socialization.

Actually many homeschool groups, larger one especially, have their own dances. And sports can always be played at the local Y. Music can be an add on by taking lessons as well.

So even though the experience is not the exact same thing a public school kid may get it is just different :)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 6:47 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Definitely. My mom homeschooled my siblings and I at different times growing up, and not only did we have a blast and make some great memories with her, but we learned a lot of stuff that kept us up with (and above) our peers academically. And my mom didn't even go to college. There are lots of resources...
    Reenieredhead

Answer by Reenieredhead at 7:51 PM on Nov. 9, 2010