HOw can I get my twelve year old son to be more responsible at school with bringing home all of his homework?

glad68

Asked by glad68 at 6:43 PM on Nov. 9, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• If it's simple irresponsibility on his part, my first step would be taking away privileges when he forgets his assignments. You know him best and what would "hit" him the hardest--no TV, no time with friends, ETC. Decide what the punishment will be and tell him that you will implement that punishment the next time he fails to bring his work home. Then you just need to watch him to make sure he doesn't get sneaky about hiding when he's forgotten.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 6:47 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Thanks for your answered.
    glad68

Comment by glad68 (original poster) at 6:49 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• what my mom did with me when i started doing that kind of stuff is when i did have homework i had to get a paper for it and had the teacher sign in then when i went home i had to show it to my mom and she had to sign it also. but it had to be up to the teacher also is they would do that.
    kitty_02

Answer by kitty_02 at 6:51 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• We worked out a system with my son's teachers when he had a similar problem. He was to write down the assignment OR the words "no homework" in his notebook everyday. Then he had the teacher sign the notebook. It took 2 seconds as he left the classroom. Then we could see what was expected every night and guide/help as needed. He was not a happy camper when he first started doing it , but soon it was no big deal to him and he actually ended up loving history which was the subject that gave the most homework. I wish you good luck.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 6:52 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Most schools have kids this age keeping track of their work in an assignment book. Work it out w/ his teacher(s) that all assignments need to written down in some way (if they dont do the assignment books) & the teacher writes "none" & initials it if there is no homework that day. You are to see it & sign it too. Then if he fails to follow thru or shows any type of irresponsibility about his school work, then he loses a priveledge. Hopefully this will help him stay organized and not procrastinate. (my own personal pet peeve that my one son does!)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:57 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Don't baby him! He is old enough to know that f's will get him held back. As long as he has no learning disablities, let him own his work. Of course if he asks for help give it but he needs to put on his big boy undies.
    BluDog

Answer by BluDog at 12:40 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Does he have an assignment book he brings home each day?? Of course he may not write what he needs to in it, but hopefully he does. Do you have powerschool & homework hotline on your school's site so you can ck? Contacting his teachers, etc. is necessary so that it stops too. That's what I did/do and it works to make her accountable. Taking away privelges is a must also.
    cat4458

Answer by cat4458 at 7:44 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I would go up to his school everyday when they got out pick him up and go personally and ask his teachers if he has homework.
    PjsMommy06

Answer by PjsMommy06 at 5:41 PM on Nov. 11, 2010