Do you think they will work out a compromise?

I do, I have my own ideas on earmarks and I know there are differences within the Republican ranks but I think they will work it out with a possible short term ban and a compromise on how earmarks should be worked. I'm thinking they won't be willing to compromise on this one. What do you think?

Link text

itsmesteph11

Asked by itsmesteph11 at 6:49 PM on Nov. 9, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I think earmarks have to be looked at on an individual basis. Some of them have merit. Oregon got a much needed very expensive to build bridge, we wouldn't have gotten it without the federal dollars. I think the way they do them needs to be revamped. If a state needs money for a project they should put in for it, the necessities get consideration.

I think a temporary ban might serve as a sort of cooling period. I think the spendfest days should be over though. This country needs to be a lean mean self sufficient machine.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 8:18 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• If anything gets done in the next 2 yrs it'll be a flippin miracle! I'm so sick of this back & forth bs from both sides! They need to remember who they're working for! Not the richest 1 percent & special interest scum- But "for the people"!
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:17 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Let's face it. Everyone (citizens and politicians alike) likes to banterabout spending cuts and ending ear marks and pork; a righteous cause. However, the song and dance changes when those cuts apply to them, or the state or group they represent. Lots of folks willing to trim everyone else's budget and paycheck, but not many are willing to step up and offer their own. Self indulgent. We want the best schools, up-to-date services and top notch medical care and military defense, but few are willing to pay the money that these things cost. Fantasy Land thinking, either that or a whole load of people dance with Mary Jane every.single.day.of.their.life.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 7:08 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Rand Paul now says he will FIGHT for some for his state...

umm, dude,.,,you said NONE before...o nevermind

Earmarks cost money, someone may want to tell that to Mitch McConnell......

I'm sure the compromise will be they all do as they did before...

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 6:55 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Earmarks are only "earmarks" if they are not going to YOUR state. Get serious. Politics as usual....don't fool yourself.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 9:16 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I won't hold my breath for any significant changes.

Friday

Answer by Friday at 10:37 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I think they will work it out. I agree with Steph, short term ban to buy some time for a real compromise.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 7:19 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Bringing things home from DC are one of the things that help get them sent back. Sad as it is, that is the reality.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 7:22 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• We can hope so.
    Jambo4

Answer by Jambo4 at 6:55 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• In a bigger shift from his campaign pledge to end earmarks, he tells me that they are a bad "symbol" of easy spending but that he will fight for Kentucky's share of earmarks and federal pork, as long as it's doled out transparently at the committee level and not parachuted in in the dead of night. "I will advocate for Kentucky's interests," he says.
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 6:57 PM on Nov. 9, 2010