Is your Aspie on adhd meds.

My sons (6) teacher all but said she wanted him medicated. I am so frustrated. I don't want to medicate unless it is a last resort. He is only 6 we are not at that point. Plus his spc.ed. teacher says he does fine with her in small group. I think his teacher just doesn't want to deal with him. He has no behavior issues just focus and organization. OKay I got off track here. My question is Does anyone have anything GOOD to say about meds. I have only ever heard bad stuff. I just don't think it will work.

But_Mommie

Asked by But_Mommie at 6:54 PM on Nov. 9, 2010 in Kids' Health

• if you don't want to medicate, then don't!
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 1:07 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• take him out of that class, i dont think hes the one with the problem
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 6:59 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• My son has been taking meds for ADHD since he was 7. For the most part they work well and really help him stay focused in school and not be so impulsive, hyper, and out of control. We've tried several kinds, because some just didn't work for him. It's a struggle to find the right med and the right dose. He's currently on Metadate, which has been the best. If you don't have to put him on meds now, then don't. If his teacher can't handle him, then ask for a new teacher. My son, for some reason, did better with a male teacher (5th grade) and he had quite a strict teacher who didn't put up with his behavior which helped too (2nd grade). I am working with my DS to try and have him off the meds by the end of this school year, because it does alter his personality some and he has seen a cardiologist once because his heart rate would race and skip. (they found nothing serious after a month-long recording.) Give it as much time as you
    Sharell8710

Answer by Sharell8710 at 7:02 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• need and definitely use it as a last resort. Good luck to you! (Some teachers need more patience!)
    Sharell8710

• The school tried that crap with us for our autistic son. We refused,they balked,but in the end they backed down. He's now in 3rd grade reg ed with an aide and doing well.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:05 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Your little boy is NOT the problem. Can you put him in a new class? I think you are right on when you say that the teacher doesn't want to deal with him.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 7:07 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• She is telling me how his reading is above grade level but he is unable to organize his thoughts. All his stories start about one subject and then end up as stories about robots or Star Wars. Well DUH! Have you ever talked to him? Those are his 'things'. Medication isn't going to fix that!!
    But_Mommie

Comment by But_Mommie (original poster) at 7:09 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Does she know that children with Asperger's perseverate on certain things, that it's one of the hallmarks of the disorder? If she's a teacher she should. My son's are trains and cars. Maybe he's too smart for her....
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 7:12 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I have no idea what she thinks or knows...
    The teacher says to me 'Have you discussed his problems at school and his IEP with his Ped? Maybe they have some ideas as to how to help him preform better in school.' I wanted to say' No I am discussing it with YOU as my Ped doesn't teach my child. So how about WE come up with ideas as to how to help him adapt and learn the be behavior you are wanting to see,'
    But_Mommie

Comment by But_Mommie (original poster) at 7:17 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I have not medicated my son. He is also 6. I am taking him to a behavior therapist right now and she wants to look more into ADHD because of his hyperactivity and inability to focus on one thing. But, he has an aide in school and that helps him a lot. Try a reward system. I have this paper that I send to school with my son and there are 4 boxes in which we can choose a behavior that he needs to improve upon, such as raising his hand to speak, waiting his turn, not disrupting other students and whatever we feel he needs work on. Sometimes the behaviors change each week depending on what behavior is needed improved upon the most. If he is speaking out of turn his teacher can remind him that he will not get a smiley face for waiting his turn if he does not wait to talk until he is called on. The same goes with all of the other chosen behaviors.He will also get a frown face if he has not had good behavior at the end of the day.
    elismom122003

Answer by elismom122003 at 7:25 PM on Nov. 9, 2010