College Mamas: How many units is too many??

I'm starting the Early Childhood Education (ECE) classes this January. I am only planning on going for the certificate of achievement to begin with, which is 32 units all together. I was wondering how many units is realistic to take in one semester. I'm a stay at home mom so I wont be juggling a job, and I have childcare sorted out to take on a full load. Is it realistic to split it in to 16 units per semester and finishing in a year? Is it realistic to take the full 32 units in one load? The classes are:

Intro. to Early Childhood Education 3 Units
ECE Theory & Practice 3 Units
ECE Practicum I 4 Units
ECE Practicum II OR ECE Field Practice 4 Units
Science for Early Childhood 3 Units
Language and Literature for ECE 3 Units
Art for Early Childhood 3 Units
Music for Early Childhood 3 Units
Child Development 3 Units
Child, Family & Community 3 Units

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:59 PM on Nov. 9, 2010 in

• definitely not in a semester, i took 16 in a quarter and that was pretty tough on me but quarters are only 10 weeks.... but it really depends on you and what you feel you can juggle
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 7:06 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Seems that it would be sensible to split it and spread it over a year. There is a lot of reading and it would make it more manageable. Good luck!!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:08 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• If you're not working and have PLENTY of time on your hands I would say maybe 15 or 16. If you're going to be busy I would keep it down to 10-12. Honestly I think it would be impossible to successfully complete all 32 at one time.

skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 7:09 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I think 12 units per semester would be more than enough. Remember to allow for 3 to 4 hours of study per hour of class time.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 7:14 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Most colleges have a limit of 19 - and that's for those who need maybe an extra credit to graduate. I'd split it into 2.
    Anonymous

• I'm currently in college. I try to reasearch courses before I take them because some are more work than others, and some professors are harder than others. I use the website called ratemyprofessors.com to find out how hard the class is going to be and go from there. I work part time, but even when I was a SAHM 3 classes in a semester was enough for me.
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 7:28 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• 12 hours is considered full time at most colleges and most people I know would only go a max of 15 a semester. If you know you will have time for not just the class, but studying and doing the assingments as well then I say split it in two.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 7:37 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• split in two. i am full time and i have 5 classes and its alot of work. i can't imagine when i have to take 15. but i was early childhood in my past college life. i still say take only 12-15 because its alot of hand on projects and reading research. good luck. oh you can always take a few in the summer time too so you can have even less in the fall before you graduate.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 8:04 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• 32 units is over 2 semesters of FULLTIME classes. You shouldn't take more than 12-15 units in one semester. I did 15 in one semester and it was way too much. You have to remember to add about 1-3 hours of homework PER unit. Lots of reading and writing papers.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:37 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Oh and NO college will allow you to take more than 18 credits in a semester.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:38 PM on Nov. 9, 2010