What was your experience with epidurals?

Ive heard some women say it barely worked, and others say they barely felt anything. Does anybody know why it works for some and not others? Does it depend on the woman/dose/hospital/etc.?

jessicarae787

Asked by jessicarae787 at 4:26 PM on Jul. 4, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I've had 3 and they all worked!! I was soo scared at first but as soon as I started getting contractions with my first (I also had back labor), I wanted as much as they could give me. And I didn't feel it go it because those wonderful people timed it and hit it during a really bad contraction....I wouldn't go without it! :o)
    queen_tut

Answer by queen_tut at 4:52 PM on Jul. 4, 2008

• Worked great for me. As to why it works for some and not others I'm not sure. maybe some are more sensitive to it. Or maybe some had it fall out during labor, but weren't aware. Just don't know.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 4:53 PM on Jul. 4, 2008

• Mine was a dream come true! I didn't get it until 7 cm's though. Just be careful not to get it too early or it could slow your labor.
    Simonsmama

Answer by Simonsmama at 5:35 PM on Jul. 4, 2008

• Mine took the back labor pains away until I got to 9cm and then it hit like a mack truck! It sucked! It did get me through the 7 hours of hardcore back labor but it also wore off when I needed it the most. Natural childbirth isn't near as bad as what you would think tho.
    HeatherTurner

Answer by HeatherTurner at 6:07 PM on Jul. 4, 2008

• Mine worked well...I have only heard of a few people that it has not worked for. I think it works for 90% or more people...my labor and deliver nurse friends say it is rare for it not to work.
    Lisa
    www.bumpfashion.com
    bumpfashion

Answer by bumpfashion at 6:15 PM on Jul. 4, 2008

• My first one worked too good. I didn't feel a thing. I couldn't even push him out... they had to use forceps. The second one, I felt it but the epidural made it bearable. The last one, the anasthesiologist must have been an idiot... They gave me 3 times more than they usually do and I felt every contraction. My right leg was numb for 12 hours, though!! lol (the line was in wrong) Anyway, that was my easiest labor. I felt it all, but it was quick and I only pushed 3 times. I swear it was because the epidural didn't work. I could actually FEEL his head and knew when it was time to push. If by some strange twist of fate I got pregnant again, I wouldn't get one.
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 6:28 PM on Jul. 4, 2008

• you dont want to use a epidural to early because it wheres off and if you wait to long they might not give you one i started with morphen then went to epidural
    jojomommy

Answer by jojomommy at 6:46 PM on Jul. 4, 2008

• It worked great for me. It was so painful when they put it in but pretty soon it was like a dream...except it made my skin itchy. I was able to talk to my husband again, so he was a pretty big fan of it. They had to tell me when I was having contractions and when to push. Next time I think I'll try without to see what I'm made of :)
    SixTimesSix

Answer by SixTimesSix at 6:46 PM on Jul. 4, 2008

• I had my first two completely natural and had the epidural with my third. I would highly reccomend getting an epidural. I didnt feel a thing and was able to relax which allowed the labor to speed up.
    AKEllen

Answer by AKEllen at 6:53 PM on Jul. 4, 2008

• Mine didn't work at all. I heard the doc comment to the nurse that is was higher than he wanted it. I think that's why it didn't work. It all worked out fine because right after the epi the nurse checked me and i was at 10cm. He was born about 1/2 hour later so i was lucky. I know they say it can slow down labor but I went from 4-10 cm in while he was doing it.
    MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 7:05 PM on Jul. 4, 2008