Would you be willing to investigate a President ?

This afternoon, Rep. Jason Chaffetz (R-UT), a member of the House Government Oversight Committee, appeared on MSNBC’s The Dylan Ratigan Show to talk about what he feels should be the GOP’s legislative agenda.

At one point, Chaffetz started to list off a number of investigations — like probing the Countrywide “Friends Of Angelo” scandal — he wanted to conduct in the House of Representatives now that Republicans are in control of that body. Ratigan asked the congressman how “far back” he thinks is “appropriate” for these investigations. He noted that Chaffetz had not listed a “torture investigation.” Chaffetz responded by saying that that “may be on the list as well. I’m not afraid of going after the Bush administration”:

RATIGAN: How far back do you think is appropriate? Because the one thing that’s not on this list is for instance a torture investigation.

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 7:20 PM on Nov. 9, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• CHAFFETZ: Well, it may be on the list as well. I’m not afraid of going after the Bush administration. I wasn’t brought here by the establishment. When I ran for congressman in 2008, I’m just a freshman year, George W. Bush, Orrin Hatch, and Bob Bennett, three Republicans, they campaigned against me. So I don’t mind going back and looking at ‘em. So I don’t have any hestitation whatsoever.

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 7:21 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 7:22 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Although Bush claims that waterboarding is legal, he seems a bit uncomfortable saying that it can be used on Americans. When Lauer asked if it is legal for foreigners to waterboard Americans, both in and out of military uniform, Bush refused to answer:

LAUER: So if it’s legal, President Bush, and if an American is taken into custody in a foreign country, not necessarily a uniformed American.

BUSH: Look, I am not going to debate the issue, Matt. I really –

LAUER: I’m just asking. Would it be OK for a foreign country to waterboard an American soldier?

BUSH: It’s – all I ask is that people read the book. And they can reach the same conclusion if they would have made the same decision I made or not.

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 7:24 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Would you be willing to investigate a President ?

Yes

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 7:25 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I don't think they should be allowed to go back to other administrations. It's a waste of time. There are plenty of things to investigate in any single administration. If he wants to be a investigator he should have been a detective.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 7:27 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I don't think they should be allowed to go back to other administrations. It's a waste of time. There are plenty of things to investigate in any single administration. If he wants to be a investigator he should have been a detective

Do you feel that way about all crime?

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 7:33 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• yeah...only the current president (whom ever it is) if he is in question then that adminstrations should be invesitgated. most presidents the other party does not like them. its just politics. we all have to find a middle ground on moving the country out of dept and forward with out fear of terriroism. i have to say this. i do not feel safe under obama. and under bush i felt safe. he took care of business. we can not be friends with the terrorist or the countries in which these terrorist come from. imo
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 7:34 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Yes, I would be willing. All citizens should have to work within the confines of established law-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 7:34 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

•  its just politics

This isn't just politics. This is a republican saying this....not dems.

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 7:35 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• and under bush i felt safe

9/11 happened on US soil, affecting predominately US citizens and our assetsduring Bush's watch- and you felt safe (r)???? Seriously? If the country had been so safe on September 11, 2001, these events may not have occurred.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 7:39 PM on Nov. 9, 2010