8 weeks postpartum dark brown bleeding adult content

I am 8 weeks postpartum today. I gave birth via c-section after dilating to 9.5 cm and not progressing after that. I had normal postpartum bleeding for a few weeks and by 4 weeks postpartum it had stopped. My husband and I have been having intercourse (unprotected) occasionally (maybe a total of 5 times since 2 weeks postpartum) and i am exclusively breastfeeding on demand (at least every 4 hours). I just noticed that I have some dark brown spotting in my underwear and slight cramping...could this be my period or something else? I am getting the mirena IUD put in next week and am hoping I am not pregnant again...any ideas? is this just old blood or could it be my period starting? I exclusively breastfed with my daughter for a year and my period didnt return until I stopped...any opinions/suggestions would be appreciated. thanks!

LLE672

Asked by LLE672 at 7:24 PM on Nov. 9, 2010 in Health

• with a c/section it is not uncommon to bleed longer, because your uterus didn't do the same work pushing out the baby and placenta. So, it is possible (probable in my mind) that you have done a little too much, been on your feet too much, etc and need to rest again, and not "overdo". We forget that Csections are major abdominal surgery, not just a way to have a baby. HUGS to you.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 7:40 PM on Nov. 9, 2010