Is a college degree really worth it?

lovebunny82709

Asked by lovebunny82709 at 7:34 PM on Nov. 9, 2010 in

• If you want one then yes!
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 7:36 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Yes it is. Smartest thing I ever did. I make more money. I'd be in trouble if I didn't !
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 7:37 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• if you go to college focusing on something you want to be, then yes. Internships and volunteer work in that field are a big recommendation because you can see first-hand if it's worth it. I majored in radio communication. I worked on the college radio station and one of my classes was at a real readio station where we were required to do a live broadcast. it was sooooo exciting and cool. Unfortunately I moved to a small town and never got my fream job. But hey no complaints, I'm a mom which is a big accomplishment!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 7:37 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Depends on what you want to do. If you want a career, yes, definitely. I have a degree but I choose to be a SAHM because I want to be with my kids. I'm very thankful for the experience of college and I might use my degree someday. In the meantime I feel it definitely helps me be a better mom too.
    lish2127

Answer by lish2127 at 7:40 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Financially or personally? A higher education is like a pair of pants - you should really put on a pair before you leave the house, so to speak - but what "fits" you? It may be a diploma, a certificate, or a degree...it should fit you well, and it will have been worth it.
    mommyx9

Answer by mommyx9 at 7:49 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• This is a hard question. I am very happy that I have a college degree...however I am not happy with the loan payments that I have been making for the past 10 years and will continue to make for the next 10 years. I have 5 years worth of undergrad and 2 years of graduate school loans...I had to pay full price for my education b/c my parents technically made too much money for me to get any aide however, they didn't make enough that they had extra to put toward my education.
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 7:59 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• It depends on what you are trying to do. In my case, yes it is very necessary to become what I want to be. In some cases you can put in the time at a company and get paid more as opposed to having a higher education. I suggest if this is something you are weighing out for yourself then you need to write a plan, see the pros and cons. College is very expensive and if you already have kids going to test the waters can get ridiculous when it comes to money. If you go, go if you have a goal, don't just go because you have nothing else to do, well unless you have the money to do that.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 8:01 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• lol my spelling is terrible!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 8:53 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• YES, an education is ALWAYS worth it.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:35 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Yes. Always. I can't teach without my BA and now Masters.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 11:13 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

Next question in
College Mamas: How many units is too many??

Next question overall
WYR Cook or Bake?