Anyone's son have his hypospadias repaired?

How old was he? How did the surgery go?

My son had his follow up with the urologist today, and will have his surgery at 7 months to repair. I'll have to apply a male hormonal cream 3 weeks prior to surgery as well. Did anyone else have to do that?

I just want to know how it went for anyone else who had a son go through this. Thanks!

KairisMama

Asked by KairisMama at 8:05 PM on Nov. 9, 2010 in Health

• I haven't personal dealt with it but my sisters identical twins both hade it. They corrected at just shy of a year. They waited because the boys were preemies and needed time to catch up growth wise. I do remember her using the cream.. They both breezed through the operation. One healed beautifully and the other got a secodary infection and required some prolonged antibiotic. Overall it went well. They are both grown now and have boys of their own.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:17 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• My son had the surgery at 7 months, he had what looked like a natural circumcision, but the urethra wasn't straight so they went in and corrected it so he would have a straight stream when he pee's. He's 7 yrs old now, and everything is fine.. He didn't know until we told him, and he just looks at me like I'm goofy,lol...
    Oh and no I didn't have to apply any cream.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 8:21 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• My son was about 16 months for his first repair surgery. It was a disaster. The urologist that I was referred to and met that examined my son to my surprise was not the surgeon doing the surgery... I found out right before surgery!! I asked why and was given a bunch of red tape explanations. The original urologist came and talked to us and said that he was a excellent surgeon etc... We went ahead with the surgery ( my instinct said not to)....It did not look like it was healing right so I asked my ped. she was not liking the way it looked either and she sent me to someone else.

My sons second surgery he was about 27 months. I love my urologist. He and his team did a great job with the repair.My son had secondary hypospadias ( his opening was mid shaft). The surgery went great and he looks much better. He is now 6 and we have a appointment soon because he still has chordee.
    Sunflower722

Answer by Sunflower722 at 12:43 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Continued....

Some urologists want to wait until after pubery to fix that and some don't. I will find out soon. I hate that my son has to go through all these surgeries, now that he is older I talk to him about it and remind him that he will probably have to have at least one more surgery.I don't want to scare him but I want to be truthful about the whole situation.I explained to him what happened etc...

I think I did have to use a cream also. And after the surgery he had a tube coming out of his penis. It was hard because I did not want to hurt him, but he did well with it.

I know what you are going through. Just stay strong ask lots of questions and follow your gut ( I wish I did) If you ever want to chat about this or have more questions you can always send me a message.Your in my thoughts :)
    Sunflower722

Answer by Sunflower722 at 12:51 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Thanks for the responses so far.
    KairisMama

Comment by KairisMama (original poster) at 2:32 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I wrote this a while ago, but was wondering if anyone else had a son go through this. My son's surgery is Monday, and I am getting nervous. :)

KairisMama

Comment by KairisMama (original poster) at 7:03 PM on Jan. 8, 2011