Would it be selfish of me...

to just opt myself out of the holidays this year? It's been a horrible, horrible last four years and this one has been one of the worse. I'm not in the mood for anything. What I would love to do it drink myself silly and pop an ambien to forget the entire season but seeing as I'm a four year recovering alcoholic and three month recovering prescription user, neither of these is an option. So, can I just run away from home for a while and not be classified a scrooge bitch for it?

ShouldHaveLeft

Asked by ShouldHaveLeft at 8:05 PM on Nov. 9, 2010 in Holidays

• I would plan a trip somewhere and ask my kids to join me. Spend whatever you would on presents on having a good time with the ones you love the most, while forgetting those who you don't care for! Another good way to forget your troubles and the hard times is to get involved with people who are in worse straits than you are. Adopt a family, make sure they have a tree, some lights if they need them, do whatever you can to make this time of the year better for them! You can even do it anonymously, and have a lot of fun doing it! Bake them some Christmas goodies and leave them on their porch with a little Christmas note. There's nothing like concentrating on someone else to make us forget our troubles!
    MamaAlice54

Answer by MamaAlice54 at 8:22 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• You might be classified as such, but whatever. Congrats on the sobriety! I think that if you need to opt out, you should be able to do so. Take yourself to some movies, or get a Netflix subscription. Pick up Chinese food. Start a hobby or invest more time in one you already like. Nurture yourself. Take this year off.
    Airamana

Answer by Airamana at 8:11 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Sorry, I don't think that is the path to happyville, if you don't want to be a bitch. Congrats on being clean and sober!!!!!!!!
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 8:08 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• If you have little kids I don't think it's fair to them to just NOT acknowledge the holidays at all( assuming you've celebrated in the past). Try to make something POSITIVE out of this time of year.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 8:10 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Congrats on being sober!! This time of year can be the absolute hardest. Take time outs for yourself. Don't be afraid to take a break from people for a bit but do your best to be there for your family.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 8:11 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Maybe you need to.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 8:16 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• On that note, do what you need to do for yourself then. :)
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 8:21 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• if you think the holidays could set back your recovery, then do what you need to do.

it's up to you, but assuming you have children, then it may not be fair to them if it's just you, then I say celebrate the holidays as you wish and have fun.
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 8:22 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• If you need the space, it may be better for you to do so. Maybe find a friend who doesn't want to do the holidays this year as well and go somewhere and have fun. Let your family know you just need to take a break.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 9:03 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Since you don't have any little ones, you can do whatever you want.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:49 PM on Nov. 9, 2010