my 5 year old is deathly afraid of water in her face

I'm trying to teach her how to take a shower. but she freaks out and wont back up into the water to let her hair get wet. i have her close her eyes and look up so i can help navigate her but she is completely untrusting. its so frustrating for me and for her.

gabismommy2406

Asked by gabismommy2406 at 8:31 PM on Nov. 9, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• LOL my daughter is the same way, she completely freaks out. Ive been working with her on this so what I've been doing is letting her take a dry rag with her in the shower so she can hold it over her face, she likes this so much better and is handling it pretty good now.

iluvmykidsxoxo

Answer by iluvmykidsxoxo at 8:45 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Get her a pair of swimming goggles with a nose guard. Let her use that a few times - after a while she'll get used to the water!
    1NikkiPikki

Answer by 1NikkiPikki at 9:49 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Mine was the same way, and now it's my son. I let them use a wash cloth to clean their faces in the shower. Sometimes though, I tell you what, I just move the shower head so it gets them in the face. They hate it, but the older one got over it and the LO will too.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 8:49 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• OH MY!! my son use to be the same way!! it will get better. But I use to give him a wash cloth to put over his face and tip his head back. she will get use to it.
    choco_mom

Answer by choco_mom at 12:33 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• My son has issues with water on his face as well, but has gotten better about it as he gets older. Maybe let her wear goggles at first.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 10:31 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• It sounds to me as though she may not be ready to take the next step from tub time. How is she when you pour water on her head when she is taking a bath? If anything start smaller, like when she is in the tub turn it into a game, give her a tiny splash in the face and then giggle. If she gets angry let her do it to you to see that its okay to get your face wet. You can also let her use a wash cloth with water on it and put it on her face to clean it. Explain to her why we put water on our face in a simple way. Such as: We use water on our face to clean up, or to wake up. Sometimes it just feels good to splash water on our face. We can always dry our face off with a towel and leave a dry towel on the side of the tub and let her know she can use it if her face gets wet. Its just a reptative motion, eventually she'll be okay with it.
    LindaL77

Answer by LindaL77 at 9:07 PM on Nov. 14, 2010