What do you do when your child cusses?

My 6yr. old came home from school today and told my hubby he is a F$%k head. I don't know if he knows if that is a bad word or not. I talked to him about it, that he can't cuss its a bad word, IF he uses that word again he will not be watching tv for the whole day?
Should I do more? Do you have any good ideas on how to deal with kids cussing?

1Giovanni

Asked by 1Giovanni at 8:37 PM on Nov. 9, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• At his age he doesn't know what he is saying. He has just heard it from someone else. It keeps happening, then I would get worried.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 8:38 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• The child very well could know what he said, or at least know it wasn't nice. Trust me, when my oldest was 6, he did this thing where he said "duck it, chuck it, buck it, f$%K it" and giggled and when I told him he couldn't use that word, tried to pretent he didn't know what it was. I could tell her KNEW very well what he said.

I think your idea is fine. You know your child best and what would impress on him the importance of not using those words.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 8:41 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• That's probably enough. He knows now that it is a bad word and what will happen next time he says it. That's what I did and that was the end of it.

Shines3

Answer by Shines3 at 8:43 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Nothing, we don't buy in to the idea of "bad" words or "good" words... Words are just words... The only time we step in is if those words are being used to hurt others, and ANY word can be used that way...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:49 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• i would just stay on it and keep correcting him saying we dont use words like that' i would just do that if it dont work try telling him that you gonna wash his mouth out with soap
    gianna530

Answer by gianna530 at 9:25 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I think you are doing the right thing. I wouldnt worry about it unless it becomes an issue. I do remember my Mom washing my mouth out with soap - that worked for me!
    1NikkiPikki

Answer by 1NikkiPikki at 9:46 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• They don't. My son used a cuss word once when he was 5, I told him we didn't use that type of language, and that was the end of it. They hear words at school, but they also quickly learn which ones are "bad" words. If my son had used it to call someone a name, especially his dad, we would have had a serious talk about respect and he probably would have lost his screen time for that day - he shouldn't be calling any adult any name other than their given one!

Answer by missanc at 10:28 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• If taking away the TV works, then use it. It wouldn't work for my kids, because they'd just play something else just as fun. They would get in trouble, if they used it more than that first time. So far, it hasn't happened, so idk what I'd do, exactly.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 8:48 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Our children are like sponges:they absorb the good as well as the bad. For right now the taking away of something he likes is fine. But if he continues give his butt a spanking as a reminder that saying words like those have painful conseqences.

NubianQueen78

Answer by NubianQueen78 at 8:48 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Just tell him that it is not OK for kids ot talk like that. Of course it can't be a "do as I say, not as I do" kind of thing. You cannot really tell a kid not to cuss if you do it all the time. lol
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 10:31 AM on Nov. 12, 2010