Anyone else scared our of our bad economy getting worse? (question regarding coal)

Here is a very insightful audio clip of Obama's plans for the coal industry. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hdi4onAQBWQ He plans to make it impossible for coal plants to continue running because of green house gas emissions. He wants theses companies to go bankrupt! Now what is going to happen to those thousands of people employed by the coal industry? And what is going to happen to all of our power? Yes we need new technologies when it comes to renewable energy sources, but to expect us to be ready for this now is craziness. He is dooming our economy! What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:03 PM on Nov. 2, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• I think you need to use a more reliable source than YouTube.
    Madge1428

Answer by Madge1428 at 12:52 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• Amen Madge1428!
    Elicia35

Answer by Elicia35 at 1:25 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• Its an audio clip of Obama himself during a radio interview. How can you deny that its him? Its not twisting his words or misquoting him, its playing exactly what he said. You don't have to read what is written, just listen to the words spoken. (Or don't because I know you are a liberal who doesn't care about the jobs that could be lost when BO takes office).
    Anonymous

• my outlook is not good either. However, there will always be staples, like housing, grocery, and law enforcement. My business is in media. The business fluctuates and is very competitive. I am doing freebies for a business in admixtures and cement mixing. And believe it or not, the raw admixture materials are from Beijing, China, and I'm trying to get closer to them too. I have a "day" job too, clerical work.
    BlueSaphire

Answer by BlueSaphire at 2:12 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• Yes, I know business owners that will have to lay off people if Obama wins :( and maybe raise their prices.
    Anonymous

LMAO Madge you are a dolt (to borrow matthews comment on S.P.) You obviously didn't look at the video. It was OBAMA himself saying this.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 2:23 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• I think he is concerned about the environment shouldn't we all. He couldn't possibly wanna personally hurt businesses. But there is a way these companies can go green. They will have to find ways to improve conditions,make our earth cleaner,perform safter operations.
    Don't believe that because someone says we are going green it will happen within a snap of a finger. All actions will be thought through and all parties will be carefully considered.
    Anonymous

• The problem Anon, is that what Obama is suggesting in this interview is to completely and purposefully bankrupt an entire industry that our society greatly relies upon. He never suggested slowly moving funds from coal to something else, instead he plans to prevent coal companies from being able to function. Forcing thousand of people out of their jobs, and forcing Americans to rely on a technology for energy that currently does not exist. I am all for moving away from resources like coal that are non-renewable, but its something that must be done carefully and gradually. And it should never bankrupt anyone.
    Anonymous

• I so love You Tube. You can cut out relevant parts of conversations, comments, interviews... Just for grins why don't you research other media outlets for Obama's position on clean burning coal plants. Or check out his website and read about his position straight from the source. Obama's comments are in reference to traditional coal burning plants. If they build 'em dirty, they get fined. If they build 'em clean, they're good to go. Actually, Obama and McCain are both fans of clean coal.
    crazydogchick

Answer by crazydogchick at 7:25 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• Well, as a person that lives in coal country I am very concerned about this issue because it affects so many people. From the top: the owner, the ceo, the office people, the coal miner, the truck driver, the railroad, the shipping industry, the grocer, the paperman, the car dealership, the wall street markets, the electric we use. Just imagine not having a refrigerator, a phone, hot water, the tv, computer, dvd player, the hair dryer or curling iron, the outside light. Washing machine and dryer. To think one can just shut a whole industry down is flattering ones own ego. John McCain is for clean coal technology and nuclear power plants. That means that no new coal power plants will be built without the clean coal technology. That is just the way we are headed. But, to the OP. Yes, you are right in thinking this is not a good idea. The consequences will be horrific.
    Anonymous