first and last therapy session today

A few days ago, I told everyone that I'm finally going to therapy. Well, today was my first day (and the last day). The counselor was said to be very good to speak with, but he wasn't. I was so disappointed that I said that this was it, no more. Seems that I get better consulting from everyday people. Everything I was told was so cliche during the meeting. I just joked with him with better solutions that I came up with myself. The meeting was more entertaining than informative (which it wasn't). He told me that there's nothing that can be done, which there is plenty of solutions coming from regular (smarter) people.

How would I get real counseling that is not cliche, overly generalized, and dead-end?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:10 PM on Nov. 9, 2010 in Health

• i find just going to friends and family helps me on things
    angelbaby1323

Answer by angelbaby1323 at 9:16 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I wish I could tell you. Hubby and I went to a marriage councelor when he was addicted to pain meds. The guy told me that DH was not an addict. A few weeks later he was in rehab. I can't believe we paid that guy money!!
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 9:24 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• It took me 3 times to find the therapist I felt comfortable talking too. G/L
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 9:33 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Like with everything else in life, sometimes you need try a few before you find something you like. Don't give up, the right counselor is out there for you.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 9:48 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Try your local church, some churches offer services like that and they are great. I just went to marriage counseling and a friend of mine recommended me to go to church, it was awesome. Good luck, best wishes.
    bratgirln1

Answer by bratgirln1 at 10:42 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• It took me a while to find one that I liked. Some are very snide and condescending and some are great.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 10:42 PM on Nov. 9, 2010