good "starter" job for restaraunt employment?

Only experience i have in a restaraunt is a dishwasher position when I was 16 (and that was over10 years ago). I know some jobs prefer people with experience, but what types of places are usually fine with no experience? I am pretty desperate for a job and was thinking about applying at a small bar in downtown.

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 9:12 PM on Nov. 9, 2010 in Money & Work

• Waitress would be a good one.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 9:16 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I guess what i mean is a place in general. some places are picky about no experience, what type of places are good about beginner training?
    Owl_Feather

Comment by Owl_Feather (original poster) at 9:17 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Be a hostess for a restaraunt until you learn the menu and then be a server. Learning the menu is the hardest part.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 9:18 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Most restaurants will train the right person. Waitress is my top pick!
    pixidst73

Answer by pixidst73 at 9:19 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• hmmm yes good point dancinintherain!
    Owl_Feather

Comment by Owl_Feather (original poster) at 9:19 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Wait staff makes a pittance for a living here. Literally the kids at Mc Donalds are making more per hour average than waitstaff in a restaurant. Any place you can find a job that will pay you a flat hourly wage is going to be better in the long run than the 'per sales" percentage, or $2.00 an hour plus tips business. You might make good money once or twice a week...but it doesn't average out..and you can't make bills on half a paycheck.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:28 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Basically, any place that hires teenagers, hires people without experience.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 12:05 PM on Nov. 10, 2010