For those who know the difference btwn parallel play and interactive play...

Should an almost 3 year old be capable of interactive play yet? When is the normal age for a child to transition from parallel play to interactive play?

Kword

Asked by Kword at 9:15 PM on Nov. 9, 2010 in General Parenting

• Well, when my son was diagnosed with autism, one of the things they pointed out was his lack of interactive play. He has just turned three when this was pointed out.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:21 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• At almost three, they should be able to engage in interactive play.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:16 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Yes the should be able to with some altercations. They seem to be less wiling to change they are playing to incorporate others.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 9:18 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I would think so. Most of the 3 year olds at playgroups and the library seem to be interactive for the most part. My son does more parallel play now, but just recently he's been starting to be more interactive with kids on the playground and at the library. He's almost 2 1/2.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 9:20 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Just like everything with human development, it can vary. Some kids start at 2.5, others don't start until age 35. How many adults do we know who are happier playing by themselves on an XBox? :)
    TwoBrownDogs

Answer by TwoBrownDogs at 9:22 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• it depends on the childs personality.. and many factors, i worked at a preschool and interactive play was engaged by many, but not all of the 4 year olds. theres nothing wrong with that.. dont be alarmed, you still have plenty of time to help them interact....
    AhmanisSoldier

Answer by AhmanisSoldier at 11:56 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I think there is a big difference between having a preferance to parallell play versus the capeability to play interactivly. At the age of three a child should be able to play interactivly. If they are not, it might be worth it to bring up to your doctor.There might not be anything wrong, but it's worth looking into. JMEO
    sandrizzle

Answer by sandrizzle at 2:41 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I thought maybe she was getting ahead of herself. lol. I was told they weren't really capable of interactive play until about 4, but that didn't seem right. I feel bad for her sometimes bc she tries so hard to get her sister to play games with her (her sister is only 18 months) but she gets distracted too easily bc she's still in the "parallel play" stage.
    Kword

Comment by Kword (original poster) at 9:19 PM on Nov. 9, 2010