How can I help with my 6th grader failing in school?

grammaMia

Asked by grammaMia at 9:15 PM on Nov. 9, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• Get a tutor?
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 9:17 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Does the school offer after school tutoring? If so, take advantage of it as much as you can.
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 9:18 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Most schools offer tutoring programs. You could sit down and ask what he's having trouble understanding and help him with it or find someone who can. Try offering incentive for good grades, too. Good luck.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 9:22 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• What is the resaon for him failing?
    Kameronsmom142

Answer by Kameronsmom142 at 9:23 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Have you talked to his teacher or requested he be evaluated through the school? Do you know why he is failing?
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 9:42 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I went through this with my son having to repeat 4th grade. Here is what I did: I recognized my part in it, which was not being consistent with checking up on my kid, checking his back pack, paying attention to the signs, etc. I reached out to the teacher to find out the history of my sons failures in her class (test scores, missed assignments, etc), then we took action, and got to work. My husband and I talked regularly with the teacher, put my son in a "catch up" program and he actually passed both 4th & 5th grade in one school year and is back in his correct grade level. I suggest you meet with each teacher, get their email addresses, stay in the loop and show your child you are serious and MAKE YOUR PRESENCE KNOWN. No fun activities until you see the homework. Get weekly reports from the teachers. Have them send progress reports back with your child. It works- trust me.
    SherryMalcom

Answer by SherryMalcom at 9:46 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Talk to the teacher about what he needs help in. Why is he failing? Get tutoring from the school or through Sylvan or Huntington Learning Centers.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:49 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Dh and I took away all our responsibility. She has no learning disabilities so we said if that's the grade you are happy with it's yours. If you want better we will help you but it's not our grade. She went from d's and f's to c's and b's. Her conduct grade went from a c to an a. Let your child own it!
    BluDog

Answer by BluDog at 12:36 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I agree totally w/SherryMalcom. We went through the same thing and every year starting in 4th grade. We have issues w/her not doing what she is capable of doing/saying she did it in study hall come to find out she didn't, etc. etc. We have powerschool online (wonder if you do?) and that helps so... much to ck up on my 12 yo dd and also homework hotline. It started in 5th grade (1st yr of middleschool) and it's a great help. Don't give up.
    cat4458

Answer by cat4458 at 7:35 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Oh, and yes if there is tutoring after school do that. It helped mine this year w/math. Knowing she had to stay after school to do this made her keep up w/her work so she doesn't have to.
    cat4458

Answer by cat4458 at 7:37 AM on Nov. 10, 2010