what wk usually people start to have contraction?

I'm 36wks and no sign at all and cervix not even open yet. I'm going to 37 wks in 3 days. If I do have false contraction does that mean labor is coming soon?

Amy2079

Asked by Amy2079 at 9:36 PM on Nov. 9, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I was induced with my first child, when I first got hooked up to the machines they asked me if I felt any contractions and I said no. I was having them, they just weren't strong enough for me to feel them. I was 41 weeks pregnant when they induced me and it wasn't until after they broke my water after almost a full day after they began the induction drugs that I felt a contraction and two days later I had an emergency c-section. I had planned c-sections with my second daughter and my twin boys and never felt any contractions at all with them.
    anon1986East

Answer by anon1986East at 9:50 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• You have contractions throughout your pregnancy to get your body ready for labor. Some women don't feel them, and for others, they're painful. They're not "false" contractions, they're practice contractions. They're not necessarily indicative of labor. Try not to fret about your cervix. I wouldn't even bother with those checks. I've had women dilated to 4cm for months, and others not dilated one day and holding a baby the next. Those checks mean nothing.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 9:53 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I felt Braxton-Hicks contractions through most of the second half of my first pregnancy, and no labor by my scheduled C-section at 39 weeks. I felt absolutely NO contractions during my second pregnancy until active labor started. I also showed no "progress", even at my last appointment at 39 weeks 3 days, 3 days before labor -- dilated to "maybe a 1" (not at all before then), not effaced, baby still high, all that jazz.

Basically, you might go into labor tonight, or you might not for another 4 or 5 weeks. No telling. And nothing that you listed necessarily means anything either way.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 9:59 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Some women have contractions for months before they go into labor. Braxton Hicks contractions are not a sign that labor is imminent. Good luck.
    JJsMoMMy519

Answer by JJsMoMMy519 at 10:50 AM on Nov. 10, 2010