How did you learn how to sew?

Ive always wanted to get a sewing machine and be one of those "crafty" moms but I think I would just suck at it. Did any of you learn as an adult on your own or were you just naturally good at it or did you learn young? What kinds of things do you make?

MamaSpurg

Asked by MamaSpurg at 9:47 PM on Nov. 9, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Honestly, sewing is about one of the easier crafts to learn. It's truely just a matter of getting to know your way around the basics and getting to know your sewing machine. I sewed a couple of times with my Grandma, but I learned most from my own mom. She taught me the tricks that she knew and the basics. Then from there I have been teaching myself other tricks and where I am comfortable at the machine. I have made quilts for family and as well as for my own kids. My latest quilt for my daughter is my favorite one and is the most simple pattern that I could've done. Honestly, if you want to learn to sew then you can take classes at Jo Anne Fabrics or a local sewing shop. Or you can get a "How to" book and a sewing machine and teach yourself. Teaching yourself might be easier, as you'll put into it your own methods that will work for you in the long run. Have Fun!
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:08 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Home Ec 6th grade. We made a puppet and a pig out of panty hose. Then in 7th grade, we made little draw string tote bags.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 10:49 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I learned from helping my grandmother make quilts and clothing. I also learned to knit and crochet from her elderly neighbor who babysat me occasionally. I was given a sewing machine by a relative and I hardly ever use it. I would love to when my kids are older and I have more free time.
    lish2127

Answer by lish2127 at 9:50 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I learned when I was a kid. I made my own play clothes, or I didn't get them...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:51 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I learned as a child, from my grandma, but I didn't do it for many years and have now forgotten how to :( I would like to learn as well!
    ILoveCade

Answer by ILoveCade at 9:51 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• My mom taught me how to hand sew from the time I was little. We used to make all sorts of crafts. Since she passed away in June, I now have her sewing machine. ....I think I would be good at it if I could learn how to thread the darn thing! I think you would have fun if it is something you really want to do! You should do it. It takes a lot of practice to get good at anything you are new to, and you will have fun while getting better. :)
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 9:52 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• In 7th grade, we all had Home Ec class ---half of the year was sewing, the other half was cooking. and we learned to sew,starting with aprons and then a skirt. :-) Then I started sewing on my own at home,using my Gramma's old Singer sewing machine and by the time I was about 16 I made a suit with a lined jacket and a spring formal dress, long with an overlaid skirt. WOw...I haven't sewn in years. I need to do it again.It is fun!
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 9:53 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I learned to use a machine as part of my high school's Home Ec class- but being busy now, dont have much time nor do I even own one. The craft I do is to make picture frames , tissue box covers, bookmarks, / or magnet sets out of plastic canvas from Walmart
    mocha76

Answer by mocha76 at 9:55 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• we had no money when i was younger... so my mom made our clothes, then i started sewing around 4 yrs, now i sew infront of my kids and they want to learn how
    MakG

Answer by MakG at 9:56 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Trail and error and watching my Mother.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 10:03 PM on Nov. 9, 2010