Do you think that respect has gone out the window?

I have found that the 20 somethings have an attitude of entitlement. My own kids included and I will not say all of them. The ones I come across are so out of touch with reality I some times want to smack some sence into them! (mine for sure!) Even though I tried and thought I instilled manners and I am hoping that I am still leading by example, I do not know where the respect has gone.

Noosa

Asked by Noosa at 9:52 PM on Nov. 9, 2010 in Adult Children (18+)

• The young adults today for the most part are not only entitled but quite full of themselves. Blame the child shrinks that wrote books back in the 80s and 90s about fostering a child's self esteem. These kids grew up feeling so special their heads grew so large they couldn't fit through a door. Now they are entitled, spoiled and selfish adults who EXPECT their parents to support them financially until they are 35! Many a parent taught their child right from wrong, and respect of authority and their elders, but society, peers and the media have done a great job instilling disrespect in our children.
    twinkletoes0408

Answer by twinkletoes0408 at 10:15 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• In a lot of cases it is the parents that have failed their children. Whether if they tried or not they didn't continue to instill manners, respect, bounderies, and know-how into their kids from an early age. Which lead to teenagers and young adults feeling like the world owes them something for virutally having done absolutely nothing to deserve it. It also has some to do with the media influencing them, but I will not put any credit to that being more then a half of a percent. The individuals themselves also must take responsibility, but in general I do blame the parents.

Now, that isn't the case for all. As most parents do try their hardest and still come up short with bratty kids. That's where it is a majority of the individuals fault over the parents, because they know better they just choose to have hand outs. It's just a matter of beating it into them .. verbally and by example of course.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:05 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I am 24 years old, and I know exactly what you are saying. Let me first say, I am in no way perfect. I have my moments of bad behavior and such, but I try hard, everyday, to live by the morals, rules, and the manners that my parents instilled in me.
    But I see other people around my age, and younger, who seem to have not been taught anything, or they just dont even care to have manners or morals. Its all about the "me" generation. Some blame the internet, and social media, for the downward spiral. It makes everything about "me", what am I doing, who do I know, how good is my profile pic... And it seems like the media has accepted this behavior, and actually promoted it. Look at the shows like "The Bad Girls Club". Why is it "cool" for girls to be trashy, slutty, and classless?
    My SO look around sometimes and worry about the world in which our daughter will be growing up in.
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 2:48 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• It's not just the younger generation that is rude!!! It seems like that everywhere I go people my age think that the world is there's and everybody is just visiting! lol! I noticed this when I was in high school. I wasn't miss perfect, but there was never a please or a thank you to go around!!! People are just to selfish here lately! they want whats theirs and they want to be the first one to get it!Grrrrr! Well, I just hope and pray that my children don't get influenced by this world.That maybe even if it's not me that they get some manners and politeness in there childhood and adult lives from someone. Just watch what you do more than what you say for them to do. They tend to do as you do. Not what you say....

Be101

Answer by Be101 at 3:18 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• No, I find when it is instilled from early on, it will come through when they have grown, I have three and none of them ever felt entitled to anything, although they could have very well have because I gave them everything they could ever want. They have become well adjusted adults, and they display characteristics of what they had while growing up, love, kindness and compassion.

Answer by older at 8:10 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• No, I don't think so....my kids (they are adults now) and my grandkids do NOT expect things/ They do not feel "entitled". My kids worked part time in high school, got terrific grades,went to college (worked while in college to pay tuition,etc.) and now they have careers and marriages and ther kids don't feel entitled either. Set a good example and teach them the value of hard work,accomplishment and college.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 3:02 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• I am sure those were the same sort of feelings people had when their children decided it was okay to treat people of different races with respect. Or son's began going to school longer instead of working in the family business. Even when women decided they could take care of themselves and didn't get married and have families. I am in no way saying people are respecting eachother... I just think we need to respect eachother by allowing them to make their own choices.
    seturkey

Answer by seturkey at 3:11 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• i have 17yr old kid who thinks that i have to get him what ever he wants i have to lol at him,i keep reminding him if you want some you have earn it by getting a job like i did when i was kid ,
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 1:37 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• My 20 year old sister has little to no respect for our parents and it is so annoying. I think it varies by situation. In her case it is bc they allow her to walk all over them. If they would demand respect and set some boundaries then I think she would either learn to respect them or move out.
    imuney

Answer by imuney at 9:17 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Our kids become adult kids where they basically live a "fast-food" life. Hurry up and wait. Technology as it's worst or maybe it's best. However you see it.

Respect has completely gone out the window and so has working hard. : )
    IamagoodMom628

Answer by IamagoodMom628 at 11:14 PM on Nov. 13, 2010