What happens if we ALL decided to not vaccinate? What then?

I understand the reasoning and scares to not vaccinate. Yet I also understand the reasoning and scares to vaccinate.

So what happens if we ALL decide to stop vaccinate? Every one of us. What happens then? Does disease find it's way back? Do you think those who don't vaccinate have the luxury to do so because of those who do? I vaccinated our children due to rest of family not. Close friends of theirs' chilren ended up getting whooping cough. My husband almost died of another vaccinatable sickness.

What it came down to was confusing..... Do I vac. and hope my child doesn't get this autism scare? Do I not vac, and if they poss. get sick and die or have lasting problems, how do I answer them about that? My choice due to popular belief at the time.

Thoughts anone?

thelowlander

Asked by thelowlander at 10:04 PM on Nov. 9, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• The very young, the elderly, and those with compromised immune systems would be at constant risk. We vaccinate to protect the people around us who aren't strong enough to fight off infection on their own. The implications would be terrible.

maxswolfsuit

Answer by maxswolfsuit at 6:56 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I do believe that if EVERYONE stopped vaccinating then the diseases would come back for sure. I like to spread out our shots for the kids, but they still get their shots. I just wish Dr's and CDC would not treat it as a "whats good for one is good for the other". I think thats where all the problems arise from. Especially now with the combination shots, thats ridiculous IMO. Dont agree with it!
    mommy_bink

Answer by mommy_bink at 10:12 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Like you said, there will be a resurgence of preventable diseases.... like in third world countries, where they don't have access to vaccines. Luckily, some diseases such as smallpox have been completely eradicated because of vaccination. Now, we no longer need the smallpox vaccine.
    I had an uncle who died as a child from diphtheria, right after the second World War, because they didn't have access to vaccine. It's a terrible way to die.
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 10:07 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Kerp, do you trust the CDC? Cause if you check the ingredients on the vaccines - information you can get on the CDC website - you'll clearly see they did NOT remove Thimerisol from vaccines... They only removed it from ONE vaccine. The "recommended" first round of vaccines has over 30 times the "safe" level of mercury for an adult male, and it's injected in to infants...

It's all there on the CDC's website, you simply have to look for it.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:21 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Have you seen all the deformities people in third world countries have?  Most of them are from diseases affecting the fetus in the womb.  Vaccines aren't meant to keep the disease from developing at all, they're meant to help our immune systems have a fighting chance against them.  (Yes I know they don't always work 100% of the time.)

luvbugs07.09

Answer by luvbugs07.09 at 8:33 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Well I personally vac. my children. The toxic ingredient thimerosal is not used as a preservative in MMR, Varicella, IPV, or pneumococcal conjugate, Hep A, or Hep B vaccines. Also most formulas for DTaP are free from thimerosal except one kind. The majority of vaccines that contain this are the influenza vacs. So if this is the reason for not vaccinating children then it is not a good reason since the vaccines DO NOT CONTAIN this ingredient. (BTW I do not nor have I ever gotten a flu vaccine for myself or my children)
    http://www.fda.gov/BiologicsBloodVaccines/SafetyAvailability/VaccineSafety/UCM096228#t1">http://www.fda.gov/BiologicsBloodVaccines/SafetyAvailability/VaccineSafety/UCM096228#t1

Check it at the food and drug administration website..... the link above goes directly to the page, you can scroll down to view a chart that indicates if it is in that vaccine and what the amount is.
    sheloveearth

Answer by sheloveearth at 11:45 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I think that those of us who dont vaccinate have the luxury bc of those of you who do. It doesnt totally eliminate the possibility that our kids might get sick but it sure helps! I may vaccinate dd in the future but right now she is not. She is still very young and its something Im really studying an dpraying about. Either way I think its a valid question you have about how do we answer our kids if our decision leads to them getting sick whether its the fact that we gave them a shot that they had a reaction to OR we didnt get them a shot and it turns out we should have.
    "

Except for the fact that if there were an outbreak, the disease can eventuallymutate and therefore the people were were previously vaxed don't have the same protection. Why? Because it started spreading among those who weren't vaxed. Then...we have a pandemic.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 10:02 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• There is a reason why our wonderful doctors and scientist have came up with these amazing vaccinations. We would just end up having more infant and child deaths.  CDC and the NIH say that there is no relationship between vaccines and autism.  

kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 10:16 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Thimerisol has NOT been removed flu vaccines. I stated that in my post.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 10:23 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Measles ~ Some patients will develop pneumonia as a sequel to the measles. Other complications include ear infections, bronchitis, and encephalitis. Acute measles encephalitis has a mortality rate of 15%
    Mumps ~ Encephalitis (very rare, and fatal in about 1% of the cases when it occurs)
    Rubella ~ If born with it the prognosis is poor.
    TB ~ An estimated 1.3 million people died from TB in 2008.
    Diptheria ~ obstructed airway causes strangulation, it was known as the 'Strangling Angel of Children'. In some outbreaks it killed 80% of children under 10.
    Pertussis ~ kills about 20 children a year in america, 131,000 in africa.
    Polio ~ can leave you paralysed, easily kill you Pre vaccination there were about half a million deaths a year worldwide.

So, obviously all not lethal then... These diseases STILL kill people... even today in our hospitals They are lethal !!
    Piskie

Answer by Piskie at 4:37 AM on Nov. 10, 2010