TV Ratings..

Do you go by ratings when it comes to youyr children or do you let them watch what they want?? Do your 8 yr olds watch PG13 or R rated movies??

19withtwins

Asked by 19withtwins at 10:18 PM on Nov. 9, 2010 in General Parenting

• I watch it and if its appropriate then they can watch it
    imuney

Answer by imuney at 10:26 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I'll let him watch anything I deem appropriate. What I deem appropriate and what the ratings systems deems appropriate don't always mesh.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 10:30 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• They watch after I do. If I feel they're able to handle it, then sure. I'm the parent, not the movie industry.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 10:46 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• We are still on G and PG for the most part. My girls are 5 and 7. We do watch DWTS and it is PG13....my guess is because of the costumes or the fact that it is live and they are covering their behinds incase something doesn't get bleeped out.
    mom2queenie2004

Answer by mom2queenie2004 at 11:16 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I hate it when people let kids under 12 watch R rated movies, there is no reason for it
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 11:43 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• There were a few shows that were off limits to my kids growing up. Yeah I know they watched them at others homes when they were older! But mostly we watched all kind of things, together. Only TV was/is in the living room so we watched together. If there was something I didn't approve of I could use that moment as a teaching moment and discuss it with them. Of course this was when they were older, starting around 5th or 6th grade.
    chris219

Answer by chris219 at 11:45 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• My 12 yo dd doesn't even watch many pg 13 movies. I know you are talking about TV ratings but can't go by those as who can figure their lingo out??!! I agree w/other posters who said I watch them 1st to see if they are appropriate.
    cat4458

Answer by cat4458 at 4:42 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• It really depends on the movie, for instance: "The Patriot" with Mel Gibson... it is rated R and I fully intend to use it in my history lessons with my kids... I watch the movie before my kids, and if it is ok, I will let them watch it, if not, then I won't. I also love the websites: cleanplaydvds.com (which edits mainstream dvds), familysafemedia.com (which sells dvd players that edit out content as well as tv guardians, as well as dvds), and familyediteddvds.com (which the name is self explanatory), that way I don't have to worry about nudity, swearing and the stuff I just don't want my kids, myself, or my husband to have to see.... Hope this helps!
    momof2redhedz

Answer by momof2redhedz at 2:59 PM on Nov. 10, 2010