How can I get my five month old to sleep through the night?

Triston is now five months old, and has been sleeping through the night since he was three weeks old, until now that is! He has been waking up a ton! We have established a great nighttime routine, and he usually will go in his bassinet awake and sooth himself asleep. He is now waking at least once, most nights more, a night and will not go back to sleep without a fight.

We are looking for ideas! We haven't seen any teeth starting to come in... I am just unsure of what to do now?! Please help my husband and I!

littlet03

Asked by littlet03 at 12:36 PM on Nov. 2, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Well, I have the book by Dr. Weissbluth which states that you should probably let your baby "cry it out". The procedure is that you let them cry......go back in 5 minutes and sooth them letting them know that you have not abandoned them.....then leave the room......wait 10-15 minutes......go back in and let them know you are there by soothing them to sleep again.......and contiue to do this until they finally cry themselves to sleep. NEVER PICK THEM UP DURING THIS PROCESS or you will ruin the whole thing and they will know that you gave in! This will probably do on for a few nights....maybe even a week.....but it's supposed to work!
    Try it and see.
    NKS

Answer by NKS at 12:53 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• Maybe your baby is cold. Mine is 11mnths and wakes when he is cold. Maybe you need some more heat, blankets, better jamies.
    Good luck
    racingmomma

Answer by racingmomma at 1:21 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• Changing sleep patterns are normal in the first year. Never get too used to anything!

Even cry it out advocates say not to do it till at least six months.

Check out "The No Cry Sleep Solution" by Elizabeth Pantley. it will

Answer by gdiamante at 2:07 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• Urgh, darned computer. The Pantley book will help.

• Could it be that he is getting hungry at night?
    jamesmommy12

Answer by jamesmommy12 at 6:00 PM on Nov. 2, 2008