What do I do - 3 y/o with paci "issues" . . .

He just turned 3 in Sept, I convinced him to throw his pacis away last week. For two reasons, HE'S 3 and WAY too old for pacis and b/c in the middle of the night he'll lose his pacis and have to wake me up to help find them (with a 7 month old who still wakes I'm at the end of my rope with no sleep). It's been a week with no pacis and now his naps, which used to be every day are maybe every other day and are a struggle, and it's taking over 30 minutes each night to get him to sleep (it used to take just a few) AND in the middle of the night he crawls into our bed (never used to do that). I am always one to stick with what I say or do - but should I just admit defeat and go buy him a paci?

JCB911

Asked by JCB911 at 10:21 PM on Nov. 9, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• NOPE. IMO, you're halfway there! Just stick it out a little more, mama, and that paci will be history!
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 10:31 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• This is what I did for a 3 yr old in my day care class. Buy a helium mylar balloon and attach the pacifier to the balloon string. Tell your child that he is a big boy and big boys don't get paci's. Have him let the balloon and paci go and watch it go to the babies in Heaven. It will take a couple days for him to get used to NOT having it, but be strong and don't give in.

Or, cut ALL the nipples of his pacifiers and do NOT buy anymore.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:32 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• You're almost there. Keep up the work. IF you cave now...you will never get him off the pacy. Good luck!
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 10:37 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• It is a hard thing to do, but do not give in. At night when he wakes up and comes to your room, bring him back to his room and put him back in his bed without saying a single word to him. Not a word! My aunt told me this trick and I thought she was crazy but it worked after only 3 days. He'll learn to sleep through the night without a paci, in no time! Just don't go back. Just give it a lil more time. You're doing great!
    Sharell8710

Answer by Sharell8710 at 10:48 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• You already took it from him. It's not fair to keep playing head games with him. Then again, I wouldn't have snatched it from him in the first place. He only used it for sleep...it's not like he was walking around with it all day. In my opinion, YOU are the one with the "paci issue", and you're so concerned about yourself that you failed to take into account the emotional needs of your child.
    Anonymous

• 1st I didn't take it from him - going without is something we've been working on (sticker system etc). I asked if he'd like to throw them away and he said yes - YAY! I do have paci issues - I relented when he was a baby and allowed my Dh to start giving him a paci - I hate pacis, hate them, hate them even more now that it's been 3 years! I don't have a child development background - I don't consider a paci an emotional need though, just a habit, a tough one to break.

I just thought within a week we'd be back to "normal" in terms of sleep, getting to sleep, staying asleep. I'm sure he'll sleep better without them in the long run - he won't be waking every night looking for a lost paci ( and neither will I), I just didn't fathom this taking longer than a week - every other "adjustment" in life has gone rather smoothly.
    JCB911

Comment by JCB911 (original poster) at 11:28 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• It's hard to transition away from something you have had your whole life. Now would not be the time to give in. It's hard but just stick it out a little longer, be consistent with you want (like him sleeping in his bed) and you'll soon notice that things start (perhaps gradually) getting easier.

Hope you get some rest soon!
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 1:54 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• You have to soothe them, they use a paci as a safety blanket. So aslong as you keep them distracted, they will be fine. But of course you cannot keep them distracted forever, so you have to teach them to sooth themselves. Take them for a walk, sing songs, read.. anything to take their mind off. You just take the paci away, andno matter how much they want it, do NOT give it to them.. Be strong and dont give up.. it will get easier every day. =) GL
    WhitneyMommyOf2

Answer by WhitneyMommyOf2 at 1:58 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I was in the grocery store one time with my 8 month old son, (he looked 2) and a guy made a comment on his pacifier. His girlfriend turned to him and said,"You smoke, and your cigarettes are just as important to you as his pacifier is to him." And I thought about it and realized that she was right! I didn't smoke at that time, but I knew people who did, and that gave me a whole new perspective about taking him off of it. He threw it away when he was ready, he didn't take it to kindergarten with him!
    MamaAlice54

Answer by MamaAlice54 at 10:16 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• don't give it back, it will get better!
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 12:24 PM on Nov. 10, 2010