why is it that ppl correct short-hand typing?

ur only given so many characters to use on questions. and its easier sometimes just to type like that. why correct the short-type word and not answer the question?

Phippsandrea

Asked by Phippsandrea at 10:38 PM on Nov. 9, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I don't mind it if someone does it to save space because they're only allotted so many "characters", but when someone does it with a couple of sentences? Come on! There was a girl on FB that remembered me from middle school, but I didn't remember her, and this is the letter she sent me: "u lived dwn tha st fr0m me @ ur m0ms u and (my sisters name) (my brother's name...with zeros instead of "o's") was a bby we use t0 make fun 0f (name)'s walk i snuk 0uta my hse 0ne nite and we g0t pulled 0ver and sht" ....Sorry, but I'm 30, not 13. It would take me MORE time to type the way she did, than it does to just type correctly!

HaydensMama07

Answer by HaydensMama07 at 11:46 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I hate short hand typing. Being in college, there are many young adults who think it is ok to use it in their assignments, it's not. It's lazy.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:40 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I text all the time and I never chat-speak. Short hand typing, as you call it, drives me crazy. People are just lazy at times... sure it saves you a few seconds- but those seconds are tacked onto my end while I have to try and decipher what the heck you are trying to say!

And, like someone above me already stated, I generally equate chat-speak with teens... not adults.
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 10:52 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• It's perceived as being rude and ignorant or immature. It's as if the person posting really is too important to use their precious time to type correctly, so they leave the burden on the reader to figure out what they mean. It distracts from the question. So if you'd like people to answer, then don't use short hand typing. The people who are correcting you are trying to inform you so you will know.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 11:14 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I understand short hand and abbreviations to save space,totally! But not two sentences that make no sense because the grammar and spelling are so bad.
    Anonymous

• I think it just looks lazy for people to be typing in short hand. How is writing 'wat' any better than writing 'what'. Eliminating one or two letters from a word isn't saving you much time or characters. Like the PP said, the person reading it then has to decipher what you're saying and that's a waste of their time. Whatever happened to short and to the point? Seems like it would take longer for someone to think about how to shorten the word rather than just type it out.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 11:11 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• What SweetLuci said.
    DMac08

Answer by DMac08 at 11:43 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I can't stand it. I don't text (yes, I'm only 28) and I can't stand all the abbreviations. Anytime I see text-speak, my initial reaction is to think that it's been written by a 12 year old.
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 10:47 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• If I can read it I don't mind too much, but if it's down right rediculious like some are in the abv example, I just don't care for it. I'm older than 30 and I have no time trying to decifer what the young ones are typing.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 12:46 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• the problem is going to be with the next generation. they will just not know how to spell
    Bubbles120

Answer by Bubbles120 at 12:54 PM on Nov. 10, 2010