Is underactive Thyroid permanant?

I was just diagnosed and they put me on synthroid. I'm ONLY 18! Does it get worse? Will I gain alot of weight?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:42 PM on Nov. 2, 2008 in Health

• I forgot to add I had a baby 3 months ago. The doctor didn't feel any visible lump/gland so he said it might not be that bad.
    Anonymous

• I usually research these things so I can answer people, but I do not have the time as my child is starting to wake up.

Go Google "Hypothyroidism" Its the actual term for underactive Thyroid, and you should find all the info you need.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 1:03 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• I googled it, Thanks. But I'd still like to get some info from someone who personally goes through this. Like if it gets worse, if I will gain a lot of weight. I did discover that it's permanant with the exception of rare cases. Child birth can also bring it on. So i'm sure it's related to the birth of my baby. I just hope i'm one of those rare cases!
    Anonymous

• Hypothyroidism

For patients in the mildly underactive thyroid range, treatment decisions are less clear. The consensus committee recommended against routine treatment for ...
    www.umm.edu/patiented/articles/what_hypothyroidism_000038_1.htm -
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 1:40 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• no it's not, i had it. your thyroid can reactive especially if you take care of yourself, proper diet, exercise, etc.
    Anonymous

• I am/was hyperthyroid, the opposite thing. At the moment, I am free of any symptoms and well. It comes and goes in my case. So it does NOT need to be permanent.

My sis was hypothyroid for most of her adult life, dx at age 14 (and she was overweight) and on medication until very recently, aged mid-forties. My sis lost a lot weight after her son was born. Pre-pregnancy she wore a size 20 prior, a size 16 after. Over the years she lost more weight and is now a size 12/14. The medication, a balanced diet and some exercise (my sister plays handball once a week) will help you to keep your weight stable.
    Kiwiana

Answer by Kiwiana at 4:29 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• Hi I take synthroid also. Yes it is forever. You will ALWAYS be on this medication. It does not make you gain weight. If you control your diet, it actually helps you loose weight, since your hormones are beeing put back to normal. Let me know if you want more info.
    Reggie2

Answer by Reggie2 at 8:33 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• Thanks, and i'm glad to hear the meds help with my fear.
    Anonymous