Can anybody have gastricbypass surgery or only really obese people? I saw on an ad today that it cures diabetis and I have that thats why I was wondering.

I saw on an ad today that it cures diabetis and I have that thats why I was wondering. I way 150 pounds and i'm 5' 2 and 26 years old. Do you think i can have gastric bypass to cure my diabetes 2?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:39 PM on Nov. 9, 2010 in Health

• A person has to be 100 lbs or more overweight and be in good health. My friend is over 100 lbs but not in good health. If a doctor did the bypass on her, she would probably not make it through the surgery. She is diabetic, has high blood pressure and high cholesterol and she is only 39. She eats horribly, doesn't exercise and doesn't take proper care of her self.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:42 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Your BMI has to measure a certain amount OR be 100lbs overweght or you do not qualify. You have to go to the seminar, get a psyc evaluation, and go to counseling before they do it.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:47 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Yes you can. You either have to be 100 lbs overweight or overweight with a comorbidity (like diabetes), I know because I have the procedure done. At the time I was what they classified as ONLY 80lbs overweight and had major high blood pressure. That was five years ago and I've lost 120lbs since but the best part is that within three months of surgery I was off all my high blood pressure meds.
    ShouldHaveLeft

Answer by ShouldHaveLeft at 10:49 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Gastric bypass surgery can be very risky. It should not be done for just anyone. I'm not in the medical field but I don't think it would necessarily be a cure all. If you are looking for a shortcut to better health there is none. Please, talk with your doctor about what you can do to at least lessen the symptoms. Google Dr. Asa.. He has a really good book that helps people focus on getting healthy.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 10:49 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• YOu have to be 100lbs or more over weight.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 10:54 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• why don't you just manage your diabetes with a proper diet? You are only considered over weight right now. Why put yourself in a dangerous position to control a medical condition that is within your power to fix?
    myownhappiness

Answer by myownhappiness at 10:57 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• NO WAY!!! You need to understand your diabetes better!!!! What type are you?
    kbakeman

Answer by kbakeman at 10:58 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Gosh, you're only 150lbs? Honey......you could lose that weight without surgery through diet and exercise. After having my daughter, I was 4'11" and 135lbs.....I would never have considered surgery. I worked out and counted my calories and lost 23lbs in 5 months. You by no means need this surgery. There are risks associated with any surgery.......why risk it when it's unnecessary?
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 6:09 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• You know...you're only overweight by like 20lbs. No doctor will do this surgery for you and if you have Type 2 diabetes.....then you just need to get up off your butt and exercise and watch what you eat. It's only 20lbs......this seems extremely lazy on your part.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 6:13 PM on Nov. 14, 2010