Do you care what people think of you?

I use to be big into caring what people thought of me (even strangers) but I'm reaching a point in my life, where either you like me or you don't. I'm not going out of my way any longer to try and please people, I have done this my entire life, and now I feel like its time to focus on the people I care about, like my husband and children. My MIL was always putting me down and I broke down and told her off tonight...honestly it felt good!!!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:41 PM on Nov. 9, 2010 in Relationships

• Not really...you either like me or you don't. Up until I met my DH's family, I never knew of that many people that didn't like me. Sure, I had some people not "like me"....I was a "bitch"...but I was also a bartender and the ones that didn't "like me" are the one's that I cut off, or wouldn't let their underage GF/BF into my bar and drink....as far as people that actually KNEW me (my 2 Ex-BF's and their families), they loved me....and still do. I still talk to them and their families....DH's family is just a cluster fuck of losers and/or morons, so the fact that they don't like me doesn't really matter...they don't like ANYONE, including each other...their opinion of me never has, and never will, matter to me or DH. Good for you OP for telling off MIL! Sometimes, people NEED to be put in their place.
    HaydensMama07

Answer by HaydensMama07 at 12:24 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Nope, I have learned that I will NEVER be able to please everyone and the stress in trying is not worth it.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:42 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• nope dont care think about it if your name is in someones mouth feel proud then you doing something right
    gianna530

Answer by gianna530 at 11:14 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Nope I never have and don't care now either. People either like me or they don't, I'm not going to pretend to be something I'm not
    SophiaofLight

Answer by SophiaofLight at 4:05 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• NO, not at all!!! Reached that point myself a few years ago.
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 10:42 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Nope, never have cared either. It gets me in trouble sometimes but I figure as long as I like me and can live with myself then everyone else can go hang. LOL, my son is the only one I worry about now.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 10:45 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Hell No !!!
    rtorres0223

Answer by rtorres0223 at 10:47 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Yes and no. I don't feel the need to put on an act or explain mysef when people misinterpret me but I like to make a good impression, particularly to those who actually matter.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 10:55 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I haven't ever cared what other people thought of me. I know that what others think are their opinions and really have nothing to do with who you are as a person. The only and most important opinion about you comes from self! As long as you are happy with who you are, that is all that matters! Having a positive self image and teaching our youth to have the same will allow everyone to be happy with the unique individuals they are.

Also, I found that positivity will always over power negativity. Even if someone says a negative comment about how they fell about you, it is always great to respond with something like..."Well thank you very much for your opinion, I am very happy you feel comfortable enough to let me know what your opinions are, I hope you have a great day" say this all while smiling and walk away. This leaves them shocked and dumbfounded you didn't get defensive, and argumentative.

sheloveearth

Answer by sheloveearth at 10:59 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• sorry typo *fell is supposed to be feel*
    sheloveearth

Answer by sheloveearth at 11:00 PM on Nov. 9, 2010