what do you do to stay ontop of things and stimulate your brain?

I feel like since being a mom my vocabulary has regressed, I havent been focusing on politics, I can no longer quote poetry... I miss brain stimulation. I talked to my cousin the other day and we discussed politics, education, poetry...it was FANTASTIC. I did start reading the paper to get back in touch w/ the world but the local paper is stupid. I could care less about the county fair hosting cattle contests or the local college imitating Glee between classes. So what do you do to stimulate your brain? Puzzles? newspaper? book? save me! lol

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 10:47 PM on Nov. 9, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I am in school fulltime, I read all the time and talk to people.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:47 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Crossword puzzles---really hard ones. I read all the time---and it is not sappy Romance novels and bodice-rippers....LOL.
    I watch PBS....I refuse to be locked into a mindless routine of predictable TV. I read REAL newspapers...not the local stuff about Bingo winners , the VFW pancake breakfast and the local feed stores and their new tractors. LOL.
    When kids get older, you will be fine. Little kids do tend do give you a "brain fog".
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 11:00 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• brain fog...yes thats a good and accurate term lol. yeah I guess the local paper here really isnt the best. what you described sums it up. we do get the ny daily times here! being a NJ girl I'd feel more at home reading it anyway (I'm in small town south georgia)
    Owl_Feather

Comment by Owl_Feather (original poster) at 11:03 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I watch a lot of national and international news (like to know what's going on in the world), and I mainly just read :). Sodoku is really fun!!
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 11:26 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I do puzzles, read, do things like latch hook that just lets me think. Sometimes getting caught up in the daily rut of life makes everything just so monotonous that we forget how to stimulate our brains. I'm not around grown ups in real life aside from my husband and when I visit my cousin so I know what it's like. I start working at the end of the month. I can't wait for the challenge. I've been a SAHM for 5 years.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 11:41 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• You want world news. You can find it on line. For just about any country.
    1) Find the Encyclopedia on line. Or by other means, like at the library: Pick a country to learn all about it.
    2)Choose five to ten words from the dictionary. If you're rusty, you may want to start with five. Write them down, learn their meanings, then see how many ways and times you can use them in your conversations during the week.
    3)Learn a new language. You can get Videos from your library
    4)Learn a new hobby. Something that won't cost an arm and a leg! LOL painting a model car/plane or paint by numbers/ beading
    5)Take a class at the local college. Like learning sign language or working with clay or writing poetry
    6)Memorize scriptures. A lot of poetry in the book of Psalms or Song of Solomon.
    \7)Start a group. "Moms Who Need a Break" Get together once a week 4 a potluck to share a theme.
    Hope this opens the doors to a new adventur
    Prayerpartner

Answer by Prayerpartner at 9:55 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I play mind games
    I have a kindle
    I have a computer
    I have 5 kids
    I have a job. If these don't do the trick I am in a boat load of trouble here.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:44 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I know what you mean about the vocabulary thing. My ex was mentally and physically abusive, and was completely unintelligent. He used to scream at me if I used words he didn't understand, which was pretty much anything that didn't involve beer. To keep the peace, I had to dumb down my speech, and it's been hell rebuilding it.

I read the news online, I read all the time, I like brain games. Just take five or ten minutes here and there if you are a SAHM to make sure you are current, and still feel like "you".
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:59 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• My mother-in-law is good for keeping up on the news. She is amazing with vocabulary and stimulating conversation. I play mind games when I can.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 12:27 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Taking college classes and I am a voracious reader.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 1:39 PM on Nov. 10, 2010