Hitting herself?

My 23 month old daughter has taken to hitting herself on the leg or head when she is very upset. I could understand lashing out during a tantrum, but hitting herself is a new one for me. Anyone else's toddler do this? Was it just a phase? (And no, we don't spank)

preacherskid

Asked by preacherskid at 11:10 PM on Nov. 9, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My daughter did this for about 3 weeks. Now she just throws things. :/ I think it's just a phase, she's getting frustrated and doesn't know how to fix the problem she's having.
    sunshineemommy

Answer by sunshineemommy at 11:18 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• DS,2, went through a similar phase except he would bite himself and then tell me," I bite you baby!". He wanted me to kiss the bobo and I refused , so that ended that one pretty quickly.
    dmbutler

Answer by dmbutler at 11:28 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• My son did this....it is more than likely just a phase.....but in our case, my son has severe autism....I'm not suggesting this is your case, but I just wanted to make you aware that it can be a sign of something larger....I know people are going to hate me for telling you, but I wish someone had told me this when my son was a toddler.
    FXmomTo3

Answer by FXmomTo3 at 11:52 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• @FXmomTo3- I don't mind that. I've worked in preschools, taken child dev classes, and this is a new thing for me- an underlying problem was the first thing that came to mind, so I want to hear the good bad and ugly from other moms before I see her ped in a month :)
    preacherskid

Comment by preacherskid (original poster) at 12:06 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• preacherskid...you sound like a great mom !.... I had to laugh at your comment about not spanking....I felt like I had to qualify that to everyone when they'd meet my son...no, i don't spank....lol....
    FXmomTo3

Answer by FXmomTo3 at 8:41 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• My DD did that for about 2 days. We would grab her arms, and tell her that she cant do that. ANd if she did it again, she was put in time out. 3 time outs = nap time. She got over it pretty quick.
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 3:23 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• my son did and does... may not make sence but when he was younger like about 18 months he did hit himself and i didn't know what was going on so i asked his doctor if it was normal or what.. and his doctor said that it could be do to understanding cause he couldn't talk or get his point across so he would hit himself out of fustration.... we stopped by giving him something else to take his fustration out on but about a couple of weeks ago he started again and my son is now 25 months old... but he doesn't do it offten just when he gets really angry so i tell him don't hit my baby and hold his hands down... it's just trying to control his fustration.
    Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 6:19 PM on Nov. 10, 2010