What is wrong with people

So i HAD this friend that I bent over backward to help anyway that i could. Turns out the only way she ever needed my help was for rides to and from places. She called me when she had a problem and needed a ride. There were even times she wanted to "borrow" money. She never paid me for gas or money i gave her. Final I had enough and told her that I was done. She could not understand why. Well, when someone helps you out and you are never there for them when they need it; I wonder.

So, my question is why are there people, more than not. That are so self-centered, selfish, and out to get what they want no matter who they step on...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:20 PM on Nov. 9, 2010 in Relationships

• Wow head on. I think we all have those friends that are just rotten eggs of the bunch! They are ungrateful bitches that dont care about anyone else but themselves, obviously! And then they wonder why bad things happen to them. Ummm karma?!?! Yeah. So if she flipped when u called her out, its cuz she obviously felt guilty cuz she knew u were right and she was wrong! What u do with "friends" like that is CUT them! They are not worth your friendship and only wanted to take advantage of u from day one anyway. Move on and know KARMA will bite them in the ass!
    2Kiddos2Sweet

Answer by 2Kiddos2Sweet at 3:46 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• They have no morals
    Sharell8710

Answer by Sharell8710 at 11:24 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• In my experiences its because of the people who raised them to be like that. Or they realize they can get something for nothing. Hell my family treated me this way until I put my foot down now I was cast out of the family for not being supportive and helpful and a selfish little bitch. But you know what?! I'm happier now than I was then taking my sister to court all day long watching her 6 month old while I was in my first trimester getting sick. Or driving all the way out to Arizona on no sleep for 2 days to go pick up a family member. You have to just forget people like that
    myownhappiness

Answer by myownhappiness at 11:24 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I am not sure. I know I do what I can for those who are also available in my times of need and help. I will bend over backwards for them but they also are expected to do what they can when I need it. I am very picky when it comes to whom I help and if they are helped by me or my husband are never there when we need it then they are immediately cut off. I knwo it sounds so cold but we work hard for what we have and are not able to just give it away without being thanked or repayed somehow...and it doesnt take much to repay us....just a thank you card, or offer a little babysitting time...to us that is worth more than replacing what we have given!
    Anonymous

• They don't know any better because they were never taught or could be some under lying personality disorder there are a dozen different personality disorders out there, narcissism is a common one
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 11:32 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• It's sad, I know, but I am told this is the way of the up and coming generation....the "whats in it for me?" generation. I see it alot now that I'm in college again...the kids in my program are so much different than I was at their age....and this is definitely characteristic of them ! Having said that, I've learned to see a lot of good in my classmates...i like them very much.....but their attitudes are so different....soooooooooo different ! They would never think of staying to help someone one minute past the time they were told they had to be there.
    FXmomTo3

Answer by FXmomTo3 at 11:37 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I have to disagree with those who say it is the way they were brought up. some of the most generous parents wind up with selfish ungrateful children even to the point where those children are ungrateful to their own parents. It is really sad that some people, and if you think about it, more then just a small few, tend to be selfish and inconsiderate of others taking ones kindness for weakness or stupidity. A lot of people don't know how to appreciate someone who is kind hearted and giving and sometimes it is due to what they have experienced through life and/or being used in the past themselves so feel they will stick it to someone else and to hell with how that may make the other person feel.
    Cheveyo1

Answer by Cheveyo1 at 12:37 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• My ex-FIL is like this to a lot of people. He has nothing else to do, he's on disability and people are always asking for a ride here or there. They don't give him money either and we keep telling him that they are using him. He doesn't believe it. It's just a matter of drawing the line somewhere. There are givers and there are takers. Unfortunately, the ones who do this are always takers and they don't think that they have to do anything in return. Just start telling her, "No."
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:58 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• oh for crying out loud why does the sun shine? I D K it just does. I have a friend who only calls me when she needs something too. I still love her I am just cautious of this. What ever. Just protect your self.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 10:16 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I guess there have been these kind of people since time began. I do see it more in teenagers but I do think it is how they are raised. Where I work, we have temps come in that are usually really young and there is always one or two that don't last the day because "work" is not for them. Just remember if you are doing these deeds out of the goodness of your heart, you will be the one rewarded, they will not, so they are the losers in the bigger picture.
    Alamama

Answer by Alamama at 10:59 AM on Nov. 10, 2010