puppy for baby?

is it a good idea to adopt a puppy while you have babies and if so at what age would be appropriate its been a while since i lost my Honey to parvo a few years ago And I would love to have a companion with me through my pregnancy but my DH and I are debating whether it would be a good idea or not what do u think?

rtorres0223

Asked by rtorres0223 at 11:32 PM on Nov. 9, 2010 in Pets

• puppies are alot of work..and once you have the baby, there could be jealousy issues from the dog...i personally think it would be a better idea to wait til you have the baby, then get a dog...but..a baby and pup will be a lot of work at once..
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 11:35 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Any age is fine, but it will he a lot of work and training to teach the puppy not to jump on the baby and so forth. An adult dog might be more mellow. Having pets is a great way to avoid your baby developing pet allergies.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:36 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Do you want to have 2 babies at once? Double the stress? Poop to clean out of a diaper and off the floor? Step in puddles of piss? If so then YES get a puppy right now. If you want to make your life less stress and be able to focus on your baby and give it the attention it needs and deserves then no. IMO having a puppy and baby at the same time don't mix. You will miss out on special moments with a newborn if you are taking the pup to go poop or cleaning up after it etc
    myownhappiness

Answer by myownhappiness at 11:37 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Also, we got a kitten while I was pregnant, and we did it soon enough that we had her trained for the litter box and such way before DS came. She was also a great baby proofing coach! LOL She did fine when the baby arrived, and we let her near him and such. She's still great with him now that he's 2.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:38 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I just realized I sound kind of bitchy in my comment. Sorry.
    myownhappiness

Answer by myownhappiness at 11:42 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• i would wait until your baby is not a baby really. like three or four. then get a puppy.... its still going to be a lot of work but there shouldn't been much of a jealousy issue if baby is first puppy second. but it will help with teaching responsiblities.
    laurennlindsay

Answer by laurennlindsay at 11:46 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• That is all up to you and how much you want to deal with! I don't think there is a wrong time to get a puppy, but with a new baby around you will just have to be that much more vigilent! Puppies are playful and will not understand not to get near the baby! Also, like pp's said, you will be changing diapers and trying to house train the puppy. We had our dog for a year before we had our son and they get along so great now! We got our second puppy when our son was 2 and they also get along very well, I think having a pet to grow up with is great, but a lot of work!
    ILoveCade

Answer by ILoveCade at 11:54 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• well i'm early in my pregnancy about 4 weeks so we have plenty of time to train him/her and we are looking into a small breed like a teacup yorkie, maltese, pomchi etc
    rtorres0223

Comment by rtorres0223 (original poster) at 11:58 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• oh puppies are hard work and you can't train them over night. they need alot of timeand attention and the first few weeks you have them home, they also cry like babies throughout the night. it takes a good year for a pup to settle and stop chowing everything in the house. they have alot of energy and could play alday long and drive you nuts when you don't have the energy now that you are goin to be getting bigger. think about taking it to training school and such. puppies are a joy but alot of work, might be good if you are not goin to be working anymore, you will have all the time in the world to havew him ready in time for the baby. good luck
    otoole

Answer by otoole at 3:41 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• As a dog professional, I would advise you to wait a few years. Teacup sized breeds are too fragile to have with infants/ toddlers in the house too.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 10:38 PM on Nov. 10, 2010