My son is 5 and has accidents in his bed atleast 3 times a week.

When my son falls asleep he is OUT! There have been times when I kiss him goodnight and it will cause him to sleep walk and talk. My husband woke up to noises one night, when he went and checked on my son, he found him standing up(still sleeping) having a accident in his jammies. We have tried cutting off his drinking 2 hrs before bedtime, he goes potty during the bedtime routine and again before he falls asleep - is there anything else I can do?

1NikkiPikki

Asked by 1NikkiPikki at 11:35 PM on Nov. 9, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• i learned about this in psych a few weeks ago. it has nothing to do with what you can do or what he did wrong. youre suppose to just give him good nights and let him sleep through the night and be sure not to make him feel bad that its happening as thatll only make it happen worse. look up nocturnal neuresis for more ideas. hope this helps :)
    meagan678

Answer by meagan678 at 11:39 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• oh and dont limit him drinking as he'll only become dehydrated
    meagan678

Answer by meagan678 at 11:40 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• he probably have things on his mind
    gianna530

Answer by gianna530 at 11:41 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• My son is 7 and does the same thing. He is a VERY heavy sleeper..will sleep through ANYTHING. I did the same thing until I was 12. It will pass.
    motherofpearls

Answer by motherofpearls at 11:51 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• My dd is 10 and still doing it. I don't let her have anything to drink after dinner, except a drink at bedtime. Don't worry he will grow out of it.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 7:10 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• My daughter did the same thing. The sleep walking freaked me out. Sometimes, she'd sleep walk to weird places to use the bathroom (never the bathroom though.) We had her in pull ups or Good Nights, or whatever, until she was 8 and grew out of it. She's still a very heavy sleeper, but no longer wets in odd places at night. Maybe your son needs to go back into pull ups.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 8:44 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• My son usually does this when something is bothering him, he did it like 9 times in one month, finally we found out he was having some problems at school and once he talked about it they stopped. Check to see if anything is bothering him.
    choco_mom

Answer by choco_mom at 12:28 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• My daughter is the same way. She turned 5 in October. We haven't taken her out of night time pull ups yet. All day she is fine, but at night, she pees. I won't tell her she can't have a drink in the evening if she's thirsty, or even in the middle of the night. I stopped worrying about it. She won't pee at night forever. I don't have any advice for you, since I'm just going with it. SIL babysat the night before halloween and forgot to put her pull up on at bedtime, and she didn't pee that night, for the first time in a while! We made a big deal about it, and she has been dry every morning since. Once she hits 14 days, we plan to stop putting a pull up on at night and see what happens.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:25 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Doctors say not to even worry until they are 6-7 unless they are having regular day time issues as well. The tests to rule out medical issues are invasive (think catheter, dye, big scary machines). My DD had to have testing done after she reached 6 but she was having day time issues, turned out she had a pretty short urethra. She eventually grew out of it without medical intervention. But I'm still haunted by that stupid test.
    Duckylicious

Answer by Duckylicious at 10:15 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• It is common for child to wet their beds if atleast one of their parents wet the bed.. I have a 5 yr daughter who wets her bed, and she doesn't get anything to drink after dinner, we have her use the restroom before bed, and she still wets. I was told by a doctor that bedwetting is a chemical inbalance in the brain that doesn't trigger you to wake up when your bladder is full, You can try waking him up about 2-3 hours after he goes to sleep to get him to use the restroom, But I have done that and sometimes it helps and others it doesn't. I wish you the best of luck and hope my information has helped you,
    toriturtle

Answer by toriturtle at 11:14 PM on Nov. 10, 2010