BOY & FALLS

I am a first time mommy.

My 9 month old DS is speed crawling and pulling up on furniture. As a result he has been taking a lot of falls lately. He got a pretty big bruise on his cheek from falling and a couple other smaller bruises on his face.

Is is normal for boys to be so brave and take so many falls? Should I be concerned about him falling and getting so many bruises??

Thanks!

mercilove

Asked by mercilove at 11:40 PM on Nov. 9, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think so. My son still falls and he is 6. Not a ton but its like REALLY? Come on now! Lol
    myownhappiness

Answer by myownhappiness at 11:41 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I think it is normal for any baby to fall, not just boys. It is just part of growing and learning. As for being concerned, I wouldn't worry too much unless he is hitting his head hard or really crying after. Bumps and bruises are all part of the learning process!
    ILoveCade

Answer by ILoveCade at 11:50 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• All of my kids were, especially the second and third were pretty rough and tumble. My youngest was always falling and getting huge bruises but it was DD who ended up with stitches. And she is the toughest of the lot.

I think it is normal for kids to fall and get bruises. And some just bruise more than other due to genetics and, in our house, skin tone.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 11:51 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• ILoveCade: He DOES cry A LOT after he falls. He gets pretty dramatic lol
    mercilove

Comment by mercilove (original poster) at 11:52 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• That's why they're called bouncing baby boys....
    I have 2 sons,11 and 2, and they are both always covered in bruises , scrapes and cuts from their antics. Be it inside wrestling and climbing around or outside on bikes, scooters, or just making up adventures boys are full of energy and that brings bumps! Good luck!
    dmbutler

Answer by dmbutler at 11:59 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Girls can be the same way. At his next wellness visit, ask his doctor if his are a problem. See if he is meeting all of his other milestones and developing normally. If so, there isn't a problem.
    carol2m2

Answer by carol2m2 at 12:50 AM on Nov. 10, 2010