FLU SHOT????

Tomorrow I have my 9 month well baby check up. He will be getting his first flu shot.

I am a first time mom.

Have your babies gotten the flu from their first flu shot??? Should I let them give him all his vaccines AND the flu shot?? It seems like a lot of shots all at once........

mercilove

Asked by mercilove at 11:42 PM on Nov. 9, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Each time my daughter got the flu shot I got the flu like the very next day. Dang it! And when I don't get a flu shot or anyone else in my family I never get the flu (knock on wood) but as soon as someone gets the shot BAM! I'm laid up in bed with the flu
    myownhappiness

Answer by myownhappiness at 11:44 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• We got DS the flu shot. We didn't give more than 3 shots in any given visit. The only one we had any issues with was varicella, where he got pock-like rashes on his legs for a short time. Ask if they can spread the shots out over 2 visits. But make sure the flu shot is in the first batch. As with any vaccinations, be prepared for a cranky baby that day, sleepiness, tender legs, and possible low grade fever.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:46 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Your pediatrician should be able to advise you on whether or not that's too many shots. I didn't have my daughter get one since she's not in daycare, and my husband's a SAHD, so they never go anywhere. I got one for myself, since I work outside of the home, so if anyone is exposed to the flu, it'll be me. But seriously....ask your pediatrician at your visit tomorrow. You can always get the information, discuss it with your SO, and bring DS back later for shot. You don't have to decide tomorrow.
    DMac08

Answer by DMac08 at 11:47 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Myownhappiness, was it the actual flu or a cold? There's a huge difference. The flu shot will not prevent a cold. Plus, it takes over 24 hours for symptoms to show up after getting the virus. The flu shot is NOT a live virus, only the nasal spray one is. You can't get the flu from an attenuated (dead) vaccine.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:48 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Regular vaccines are not preserved with thimerosal. But the flu shot is. thimerosal is banned in the EU. It contains mercury.

You can get the flu from the mist and you can spread the flu to others from the mist.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 12:15 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• The flu shot is not a live virus, so you can't get the flu from the shot. You might get a mild fever or feel achy, but if you get the flu it was a coincidence. It does take some time for the shot to be effective. My DS has had flu shots, and never had any problems other than feeling a little achy for a few hours or maybe up to a day. The ones our pediatrician use for babies and young children are definitely thimerosal free, because I asked. We do his flu shots separately from his regular vaccines, mostly because our pediatrician sets them up that way by doing flu shot clinics that the kids and their parents can make appointment for. I also like to space shots out too. Usually a baby has to have two flu shots set about a month apart from each other if they are getting it for the first time.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 12:24 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I wouldn't get the vaccines and flu shot at the same time.
    carol2m2

Answer by carol2m2 at 12:48 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• About the thimerosal: there is more thimerosal in a serving of salmon than there is in the adult dose of the flu shot, so frankly, that's not enough to stop me from giving it to my child. The risks associated with the shot are far less than rlthe risks associated with the flu. But I do think there is some wisdom in spreading out the shots if you can a bit.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:00 PM on Nov. 10, 2010