Do you think your baby is advanced for their age?

My son is almost 5 months and since he was born, trying to walk, stand by himself. He started in the walker at 3 months and 5 days. I haven't rushed him to do anything. When I try to hold him back, throws a fit. Alot people have told my son seems advanced for his age. What about your kids?

NuMommy87

Asked by NuMommy87 at 12:53 PM on Nov. 2, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Seriously I don't understand why people put so much emphasis on how advanced their child is. I understand that you are happy your child is doing so well but those guidelines are bullshit. Not every child goes by those - in fact most do not. It makes mothers more worried when their child isn't doing something because a piece of paper says they should be. I just go with the flow with my son. He's going to learn - I just let him do it at his own pace.
    Anonymous

• babies develop differently, I don't think my baby is advanced. My older children I KNOW they are as the have been tested. But at the same time my son is considered to have a learning disibility because of his speech, but his cognitive is way beyond what it should be. Point is that children are different and will excel in some areas and not in others. Just enjoy these milestones because they pass quickly, and don't worry what and when the book says it should happen.

Natsnumberthree

Answer by Natsnumberthree at 2:49 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• I am in the same boat as CarolynBarnett. My baby girl did just about everything for the first six months in the first three.. but now that she is almost six months, shes doing the normal "six month things". I wouldn't stress about milestones or how your baby compares to others... I think about it this way.... All babies get there eventually... so why not enjoy the time where you can put her down, and know she will be in rolling distance from that spot. She can't get into anything yet, unless I put it in her play area.... I'm not looking at milestones anymore.
    LovinMyMikayla

Answer by LovinMyMikayla at 2:25 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• Of course! My daughter is the smartest baby ALIVE!! ...haha jk but seriously I honestly do feel she is a very bright child...and it sounds like your little one is too! : ) I hate parents that compare their babies to what the charts say but I am a hipacrit and I do look at it to see where she falls...in some things she does it months before the average baby is doing it and in other things she did it months after the average baby is doing it.
    MrsPilat

Answer by MrsPilat at 1:33 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• Kaylee seemed advanced for the first couple months....holding her head up since 2 weeks old, sleeping through the night (well, from 10pm-5am) since 2 weeks old, rolled over her first time from back to belly at 2 months old, could hold onto your hands and stand by herself at 3 months old...yeah she seemed pretty well on her way, but now at almost 6 months old she has evened out and is more at pace with what the baby books suggest she should be at, which I am totally OK with :)
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 1:10 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• well of course everyone thinks their child is advanced but that doesnt mean some really arent.
    Geeze, lol... Babies are alot smarter than we take them for. I would just keep letting him to what he does :)
    Sometimes I think mine is smart then he will run down the hallway and run into a wall... lol
    all are diffrent

ReadyToRage

Answer by ReadyToRage at 1:05 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• I don't. My son is a little behind. Not much, he's within the normal range, but def not advanced! He didn't walk til he was 13 months. He's 15 months now, and he doesn't say many words. He talks a lot, but its baby babble. I can't understand any of it!
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 1:05 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• Everyone thinks their child is advanced.
    Anonymous