Does your child write a Christmas list? Up until what age? When funds are limited, how do you explain that Santa couldn't all the toys from the Christmas list?

The kids will expect that Santa will bring them the stuff off of their list. But when they don't get what they want, how do you tell them that they couldn't get it from Santa?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:43 PM on Nov. 9, 2010 in Holidays

• My DS is 7. I told him he can write down whatever he wants, but that doesn't mean he gets everything.
    motherofpearls

Answer by motherofpearls at 11:46 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Ha, I just got a christmas wish list from my daughter and she's 30. At least she is old enough to understand her dad's been off work because of an injury.
    emptynstr

Answer by emptynstr at 11:49 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• When our 9 yr old still thought Santa brought it all, it was a limited list ...
    Santa only brought his top 2 or 3 items... then we got him other items on the list, but not
    everything... and this was always told to him right from the beginning...
    But now that he is almost 10 and knows that we are his Santa and even tho he still makes me
    a list, we still explain to him that $'s are limited so he needs to put his top 5 items on the list and then
    the rest of the list is split up between other family members who are buying for him...
    Santa never has brought all of the gifts....it's cheaper and was easier to explain bc he had so many other children
    to deliver to too...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 11:49 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Do you really think that the lists that kids make that parents can afford everything? I know I can't, and with the economy the way it is, who can? Maybe you can tell them that Santa's sleigh was too small this year and some things fell out. Anything's possible.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:52 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I am 22 years old, my sister is 32 and my parents and relatives still expect a christmas list from us. they say it's easier to figure out what to get us. even if they don't get us what is on the list, it gives them some guidelines for shopping for our interests. i ask for books every year. growing up, if i didn't get the one thing that i absolutely had to had (a laptop i was not responsible enough for back then) my mom told me that santa give me the things on my list that i behaved well enough for, and to try to behave better next year.
    babymomma101110

Answer by babymomma101110 at 1:15 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• We never did santa, but I baby sat a lot and one mom told her son, santa's elves got the flue this year so they didn't get to make as many toys. I thought that was GREAT!
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 1:19 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• My daughter is 8 and goes through the toys r us big toy book and checks what she wants (everything!) and when she sees a commercial she likes she tells us to add it to her list. She knows Santa only brings 1.) what she has room for. (a great way to have her let go of toys she no longer plays with, 2.) what he can fit on the sleigh, and 3) what he magically knows in his heart what she will play with the most. I always try to get her whats on the top of her list, but it doesn't always work, I have never had her upset Christmas morning though. She loves everything she gets! Too busy focusing on what she gets, rather than whats not there.

endurablemist

Answer by endurablemist at 7:10 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• yup. ages are 29 down to 19. Helps me to get ideas. Some don't live at home so the list helps. My hubby and I make ones too. Its fun to dream.
    chris219

Answer by chris219 at 10:13 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• The issue with Santa is harder. Especially if you have nieces and nephews who do get everything on the list.
    You could try, Santa knows we don't have too much room for all the toys. Or Santa just will get the ones he knows you will love the best?
    chris219

Answer by chris219 at 10:15 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• We use to be allowed to pick one gift from the catolog book. That was the gift we recieved. If you have other family members that can chip in have him pick two and that way he'll be suprised at what he gets...Plz don't let yourself get stressed out over it. Kids are a lot more understanding than we give them credit for. If you don't have the money for more than one gift. Make a bookelet of I O U's... LIke I O U a free move / game to rent. IOU a dinner of your choice. IOU Time out to play the game of your choice. IOU a free ice cream cone. Believe me those go over a lot better coz there is more to offer and they can use it when they want to. Just make sure you have some money set aside to do those things. Merry Christmas & I hope you all enjoy just having some fun together. One of his gifts could be picking out a funny movie and popcorn night. or having a sleep over. Hope this helps
    Prayerpartner

Answer by Prayerpartner at 4:22 AM on Nov. 13, 2010