What Depression medicine is ok while nursing?

I am s single mother of 2 my oldest is 3 and my baby is 10 months. I get very stressed out and feel like all I do is yell and say no this and no that. My oldest knows exactly how to make me mad and he is always pushing my buttons. I love my kids more than life but being a single mom of 2 and working dull time is very hard. I don't have insurance so I can't afford prescribed meds but I was reading about st johns wort. Has anyone heard anything about it while breastfeeding? I could really use some help please.........

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:29 AM on Nov. 10, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Welcome to motherhood. You would do and say the same thing even if you weren't single. Although many moms wont admit it kids drive us crazy test us and push us to the limits. We see things in ourselves we never thought we would. We say no ALL DAY LONG because kids want to do things that will hurt them or others or ruin things all day long.
    If I were you I would look at work as time away. Time for me even though its work. St johns wort works imo and ime but you have to ask a dr not cafemom members.
    myownhappiness

Answer by myownhappiness at 12:32 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• It sounds like you are going through some situational depression. With situational depression pills are not effective but counselling and learning how to control / deal with certain feelings is very effective. I would suggest speaking to someone and trying counseling before starting on any pills. Be assured there are pills available and compatiblewith breastfeeding.  Speak with a doctor and double check through sites like lactmed.com to see how compatible certain pills are with breastfeeding.

mama_l

Answer by mama_l at 8:03 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I would not recommend asking a doc about meds and nursing as MOST (not all) are uninformed on this. Speak to an IBCLC or LLL leader, check the LactMed database (google it) or Dr Hales website or book. Not sure about St. John's Wort, but I know fish oil can help some, and is safe.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:02 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Thank you all so much I will check with lactmed I really appreciate it
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:52 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• It may be lingering post partum depression. I had it after my twins were born and it is no fun! I didn't know you could enjoy a baby until my second delivery and I went on meds right away! I took Zoloft and have known other moms with depression issues have taken it while nursing. My baby did have some issues with decreased appetite and slow weight gain, but was ahead in every other area of development. So as far as I, our ped, and OB was concerned a slightly skinny baby was worth a happy mom! My twins are also very skinny and I didn't take Zoloft with them until they were about 10 months old, but they were preemie and always tiny. I hope you get it figured out and if you need to chat to another stressed mommy feel free to PM me!
    frat_twin_mama

Answer by frat_twin_mama at 6:32 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I personally take Zoloft.
    djtetteh

Answer by djtetteh at 6:41 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• try taking 4000 ius of vitamin d a day and excersizing if you can.
    mrs.pyle

Answer by mrs.pyle at 12:14 PM on Nov. 11, 2010