If I drink alchohol while breastfeeding how long should I wait before I breastfeed again.

If I go out for a night of drinking how long should I wait before breastfeeding my baby?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:39 AM on Nov. 10, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Safe to drive safe to breastfeed. So if you've had 2 drinks, wait 2 hours.
    Nadali

Answer by Nadali at 12:44 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• It takes two hours to leave your system.
    iluvmykidsxoxo

Answer by iluvmykidsxoxo at 12:46 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Two hours per drink. It doesn't even enter your breastmilk for about 45 minutes. The more you drink the longer you should wait.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:51 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I would usually give myself a few hours and a chance to pump prior to brestfeeding again. Maybe it just made me feel better that way or maybe I read somewhere you should do that, I can't really remember, but that's what I did :)
    CJM_SHM

Answer by CJM_SHM at 12:59 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• ive asked lactation consultants.. they say to be safest, do not breastfeed again for 24 hrs.. if the uncommon chance that any alcohol was passed through, it could kill your child..
    AhmanisSoldier

Answer by AhmanisSoldier at 1:57 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• The above answers sound right, but wanted to add my experience. When my oldest was a newborn, I was at an out-of-town wedding and pumped during and after the reception (in private of course) so that I didn't overflow or affect my flow. For some reason I saved the milk in the fridge (my daughter was given formula). The next day when I tossed the breastmilk it was curdled and definitely smelled like white wine!!! I pumped for one more round in the morning, smelled & tasted that milk and decided that it was ok for her to drink. Now this was after about 3 glasses of wine through the evening and tons of water in between and during the night.
    MeggieSwan

Answer by MeggieSwan at 8:11 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Don't leave it to chance...they sell strips that you can dip in the breastmilk and it lets you know if the alcohol is still in ur system or not.
    ShouldHaveLeft

Answer by ShouldHaveLeft at 9:20 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Everyone processes alcohol so differently. Before I knew I was pregnant (so probably a couple days after implantation of the fertilized egg), I went to a New Year's party and I couldn't get tipsy no matter how much I drank. For every glass of beer I drank, I must have peed out 2. Crazy. I even had those saliva strips, and yeah, I could barely turn the thing a color at all, and I was drinking Guinness, which is a strong beer.

Anyhow, yeah, don't leave it to chance. You can't count on anything. Get the milk strips. They are expensive, but it will give you an idea of what's going on in your milk.
    Airamana

Answer by Airamana at 9:29 AM on Nov. 10, 2010