Medical Question

After medical staff/hospital staff, have given a term baby IV antibiotics until they were well. The term baby looks well and is well and is drinking bottles on demand & has inconclusive test results from FBE-Full Blood Examination blood tests-heel sticks, fecal & urine samples.
Is it wrong to Continue giving the infant further FBE=Full Blood Examination heel stick blood tests, that come back normal. And to keep giving the infant more IV antibiotics. Or antibiotics through a Scalp IV/IM/Other. With the possibility of failed IV sticks on the infant, with no evidence/medical tests not coming up with evidence that the baby is sick?
And after the necessary treatment for the child was given until the child was evidently well & to have been proven medically well. Would you classify this unecessary continued medical treatment as a form of medical abuse on the child?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:47 AM on Nov. 10, 2010 in Health

• im not really sure so i bumped and hope someone can help you, good luck
    meagan678

Answer by meagan678 at 12:50 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• "medical abuse"????? NO! I would classify the tests as "being safe than sorry", at least for a few months. But I would expect the amount of testing to diminish after a certain time period. But this is only my opinion as a well-informed mother, not a doctor.
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 12:56 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I'm not sure either, but I wouldn't advise taking advice from women here as most are not medically trained and you would not be sure if they were. I would ask other medically trained professionals other than the ones providing your child's care. Get second and third opinion, if you feel it's necessary. Best wishes and glad to hear that your child's test results have been coming back normal.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 12:57 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I would not blame the docs either, especially with all of the unnecessary procedures they are forced to perform because of neurotic mothers. They are the the same type of mothers who would sue them if they did not do those follow up tests, I would not blame the docs. So many moms are NUTS!!!!
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 1:00 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• The hospital probably has a criteria of how many negative tests a patient can have before given the green light. It might seem a little excessive but a lot of hospitals have these standards.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 1:46 AM on Nov. 10, 2010