Anyone know the cost of a delivery from a Midwife vs. a MD or OB/GYN?

I have to wait another week or so until I know my insurance is approved. So until I know I'm insured, I'm hoping to find the most inexpensive way to deliver my baby, just in case I have to pay for it all out-of-pocket.

Insurance aside, can anyone share their figures for a Midwife delivery or an MD or OB/GYN delivery?

Thanks

GoodyBrook

Asked by GoodyBrook at 12:54 AM on Nov. 10, 2010 in Pregnancy

• My homebirth in Ohio cost $3500...you probably just want to call around to different midwives in your area and get prices. Also, there are no guarantees that you won't have to go to the hospital if you choose a homebirth. I had a small scare when I was 34 weeks along and they sent me to the hospital to make sure I was ok, so I ended up having to pay my deductible anyways. So...I think it's worth it to have insurance because you don't know what is going to happen during delivery.
    JJsMoMMy519

Answer by JJsMoMMy519 at 10:40 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Depending on where you live, costs can vary. We opted for a midwife assisted homebirth which was 1/3 what it would have been to have our dd at the local hospital. With the standard tests and misc charges, we paid about $3500 out of pocket. I know more insurances are starting to cover but since we're self-employed we just paid it straight across. Hope this helps :)
    lilcntrymama

Answer by lilcntrymama at 12:59 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Around here, I priced a homebirth at 4,000 and my hospital birth was 14,000. The price for the homebirth included all prenatal visits, though, and the hospital birth was just the birth.

If you are self-employed, I would definitely go with the homebirth.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 1:41 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• We're self-employed too, and the deductible is $3000. Insurance is nearly $3000 per year for me alone. It's a gamble if we'll need the insurance or not, but you never know!
    GoodyBrook

Comment by GoodyBrook (original poster) at 1:02 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• It depends on where you live and what different charges are. I know that some hospitals charge around $10,000 (lowest price) for a normal birth with no interventions, minimal to no drugs, etc. I've heard of people having births assisted by midwives for less than $2,500.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 1:38 AM on Nov. 10, 2010