prilosec??

My boy is 4 months and has reflux. Ive refused meds until now..his Dr asked me to try it at least for a week..he doesnt often show discomfort with spit up but he spits up alot..so second day of the meds and seems like it is making him worse..does anyone have any experience with this??

socalikim

Asked by socalikim at 1:34 AM on Nov. 10, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I had two babies with acid reflux. Meds made a world of difference. I don't want to scare the crap out of you, but I do think you do need to know what can happen to an acid reflux baby. My friend C. had a baby with acid reflux. She did ask her doc for AR meds but her doc kept saying all babies reflux and wouldn't write the script. She asked her doctor at the 4wk appointment and the 8wk appointment. Both time, the doc wouldn't write the script. At 10wks her husband goes wake the baby, and she hears her husband scream. The baby is blue and not breathing. C is a nurse so she starts CPR while they wait for the ambulance, but its too late. The baby is dead. They initially called it SIDS but when they autopsy came back, his lungs were full of formula and they had necrotized from repeat aspiration of stomach acid and formula over the last 2 months. Untreated AR killed her baby. So please... take acid reflux seriously.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 1:48 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• What time of day are you giving the prilosec? It should be given first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. Wait 20 mintues before feeding. IT will take approx 2 wks for the prilosec to really get the proton pumps under control so please stick with it. And if you still don't feel its working, try another AR med. I've always had the best luck with prevacid, but every baby is different.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 1:51 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• in the morning and evening..the pharmicist didnt tell me to wait but I will tomorrow..thanks!!
    socalikim

Comment by socalikim (original poster) at 1:59 AM on Nov. 10, 2010