Did you know that in CN a woman fired over Facebook? Do you agree?

Because she made comments about her boss!

Monica655

Asked by Monica655 at 2:17 AM on Nov. 10, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I thought people were protected by law for "water cooler talk". I smell a lawsuit. LOL Hell - what's the world coming to? Three co-workers go out on Saturday night, have a couple drinks and blow off steam about their knuckle head boss - that's not a fire-able offense, and facebook shouldn't be either. (unless she worked for the the Colonel and was telling the recipe on fb ) :)
    ShelbyShareAlot

Answer by ShelbyShareAlot at 6:40 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Personally, I think stuff like that is really stupid. The only way that I think it would be justifiable is if the person was posting slanderous comments and lies. If it was just something like, "My boss is really tough," or "My boss can be a hard ass," etc., then I don't think it's right. Now if they said something like, "My boss is banging his secretary and an intern at work," then I could totally understand. It's someone's personal page. What the heck happened to freedom of speech and that sort of thing? I can understand things like slander, gossip, lies, talking about getting high in the present tense, etc., but not just blowing off steam and the like.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 2:54 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• My employer has fired many people over Facebook. Mostly for updating their status while at work. With the technology we have, don't put things out there you don't want people to see. Including bosses and future employers.
    MissAlisabeth

Answer by MissAlisabeth at 2:27 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• It's a hard lesson a lot of young and stupid people haven't figured out - all actions, even the ones that involve fb and texting, have consequences.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:27 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I think it's fair game. If you're putting it out there publicly, then you have to know that your boss could come across it or find out about it. Pick up a phone or send a personal e-mail if you need to vent.
    sandrizzle

Answer by sandrizzle at 2:21 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I totally agree with NotPanicking....Rule #1 in business...Never put in writing that which could be taken out of context or misconstrued several years from now!

Oh the naive, young people of today--they have absolutely no business sense! Same goes for Twitter posts--who cares WHAT you are doing at this very second?! LOL
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:45 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Social networking sites are a very popular place for potential employers to find out what an interviewee is like off hours. If you are looking to get a job or looking to keep one, you should keep your pages clean and neutral and as drama free as possible.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 7:55 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I think the news said this morning that it was in her contract ... if any employee posts anything negative about the company, they could be fired. Restrictive of free speech, but she agreed when she accepted the position.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 7:09 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Actually, the truth of the matter is that any company can write anything they want in their policies and procedures, employee handbook or contracts - BUT if what they write is a violation of a person's rights, OR in direct contrast to federal law - then the company loses. Federal law supersedes any other written document AND it can (and probably will) be argued that "In today's economy" she signed the contract under protest because she needed the job. In this particular instance, you can almost see the writing on the wall; the company policy did't say don't write "anything negative" , it said "anything" (period). That, in and of itself is unconstitutional, a company cannot "Forbid" you to say "anything" about their company . As dumb as it sounds this employee could argue (and win) that someone else said "I like working for Mushroom Bottom Tops, they're an awesome company" but wasn't fired for it.
    ShelbyShareAlot

Answer by ShelbyShareAlot at 7:47 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Which may be the only loophole she needs to sue the snot outta her boss

Considering she's in Canada, US law has jack to do with her situation. Regardless, it doesn't matter. Most states are at will employers, and they don't need a reason to fire you. Even in states that aren't, people need to learn to be responsible about what they put out there into the world, because anything on the internet is there forever. You can't delete it - it's saved too many places you can't access.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:20 AM on Nov. 10, 2010