Anyone here have a social anxiety disorder?

What are your symptoms or issues?
Do you take medication for it? Does it work?
What kind?
Has it been worse at different times in your life?

I'm pretty sure I have almost all of the symptoms of it and have ever since I can remember. I hate it. It's really bad right now for me. I am not currently being treated for it. I have taken antidepressants for depression though and sometimes I think that helped a little with the social anx. part of it. I don't have much of a problem with social situations online because I am not face to face with anyone and still I can't help but post anon. most of the time. I've been kind of freaking out lately in social situations, especially with large groups. I was in a fast food place today and it was busy and I was so nervous about all of the people I thought were looking at me and judging me that I spilled the tray with drinks that I was carrying and then I just started crying.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:34 AM on Nov. 10, 2010 in Health

• Seriously, who does that? Drops a tray of food and starts bawling like a little kid because they are so afraid that people they don't even know are judging them? Me. I do that, because I am a mess. The funny thing is I know that most of the people in the restaurant were probably oblivious to my presence until I dropped the tray. It just didn't feel like they were oblivious until now, when I look back on it. My poor kids were so embarrassed! It hasn't always been this bad, but there have been times like this before. Anyone think there is a medication along with therapy that could help me? I've taken Prozac and Zoloft for depression but I'm hoping to find something that helps specifically with social anxiety.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:34 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I have generalized anxiety disorder, panic disorder, with a social phobia, as the shrink said. I hate going anywhere. I've let myself become agoraphobic. My symptoms are weakness, faintness, nausea, sudden urge to use the bathroom... flushing skin, sometimes my hands/feet will tingle.. I get a lump in my throat and its hard to swallow... feel like I can't breathe properly... I am not medicated because Ive tried many and I hate the side effects. I did take a medicine called Klonopin because I had to go to the dentist and it worked amazingly well. I have social phobia and a phobia of the dentist but after Klonopin, I was able to go and have teeth pulled and not feel one bit of panic.
    Good luck... anxiety really sucks :(
    Gremlyn1980

Answer by Gremlyn1980 at 5:28 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I would definitly talk to your doc or better yet a therapist, that isn't normal at all and it's sad you have to go through that! A therapist can prescribe the meds you need along with serious counselling. I have some issues similar to yours but not near as bad, I feel really bad for you and hope you get the help you need,I hope you do it soon so you can get on with your life, you desirve to be happy! If you ever need someone to chat or just vent with,feel free to send me a message, I promise to listen. I wish you the best!
    anichols1

Answer by anichols1 at 5:41 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I have severe social anxiety disorder. Even a trip thru the store makes me anxious as all hell. I've been on every med out there, but i also have bipolar also, and nothing has ever relieved the social anxiety. It sucks but I have just learned to try to deal with it. Even going out to eat or talking on the phone in front of others makes me anxious. wierd i know.
    MissAlisabeth

Answer by MissAlisabeth at 3:32 PM on Nov. 10, 2010