okay girls!!! I want to know...

Is it bad to drink while breastfeeding? I havent had a drink in 7 months and i'm ready to have a night out soon very soon!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:16 PM on Nov. 2, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I wouldn't recommend it. Your body filters everything you intake into the milk for your baby. I've heard that it's not horrible but I've also heard that it can be bad. Is it worth taking a risk over? I know how you feel about having a night out but you can still go and have fun w/out drinking.
    bubblycute

Answer by bubblycute at 1:18 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• hmm I think it depends on what you are drinking. Not sure though. I have herd is wasnt good to drink when breast feeding becuase the baby will get that but hten I have alos herd that alcohol will only stay in your system for 24 hours. So if you wanted to drink one night you could pump a bunch of bottles , keep those and give those to the baby for the rest of those hours.
    I think if you just want one drink it wouldnt be that big of a deal though
    Maybe you should ask your doctor!
    ReadyToRage

Answer by ReadyToRage at 1:19 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• Its fine. After drinking you have to pump all of the bad out and just pour it out. So make sure to pump a lot before you drink so baby has a good supply to last through the night :)
    LovinEveryDay

Answer by LovinEveryDay at 1:20 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• Current research says that occasional use of alcohol (1-2 drinks) is not harmful to the nursing baby. The American Academy of Pediatrics Committee on Drugs classifies alcohol (ethanol) as a “Maternal Medication Usually Compatible With Breastfeeding.”
    It is recommended that nursing moms avoid breastfeeding during and for 2-3 hours after drinking
    In general, if you are sober enough to drive, you are sober enough to breastfeed. Less than 2% of the alcohol consumed by the mother reaches her blood and milk. Alcohol peaks in mom's blood and milk approximately 1/2-1 hour after drinking (but there is considerable variation from person to person, depending upon how much food was eaten in the same time period, mom's body weight and percentage of body fat, etc.). Alcohol does not accumulate in breastmilk, but leaves the milk as it leaves the blood; so when your blood alcohol levels are back down, so are your milk alcohol levels.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 1:22 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• There is no need to pump & dump milk after drinking alcohol, other than for mom's comfort -- pumping & dumping does not speed the elimination of alcohol from the milk.

Alcohol does not accumulate in breastmilk, but leaves the milk as it leaves the blood; so when your blood alcohol levels are back down, so are your milk alcohol levels.

If you're away from your baby, try to pump as often as baby usually nurses (this is to maintain milk supply, not because of the alcohol).
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 1:23 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• There's actually a test out now called Milkscreen that can tell you if the alcohol level in your breastmilk is safe for your baby to drink, and it detects at a level lower than what's actually harmful to babies. In general, though, one drink would probably be ok, and I've heard that when you're not feeling the effects of the alochol anymore (like if you get tipsy and you don't feel tipsy anymore) then it's passed out of your milk and it's safe to breastfeed.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 1:52 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• i had 1 martini and pumped 4 my son the next morning, oit was the only milk he ever puked (breast milk i mean) i say pump and dump, i had never heard of that and figured it would be fine, he is okay, just puked, but from my experience that would be the best thing.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 3:02 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• I wanted to be safe, so I would plan a few days in advance and pump enough milk to last her through the night and at least the first feed of the morning, sometimes more if I could. During the night I would pump and dump (I was not a breast feeder, I pumped and bottle fed, so i just kept with my normal pumping schedule and dumped it out).
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 3:22 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• Pump'n'dump... though I was told depending on how much you drink, it isnt necessary.
    ZoeKatsMom

Answer by ZoeKatsMom at 12:39 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• pump plenty of milk before and give it time to get out of your system before you feed again
    ButterflyMom194

Answer by ButterflyMom194 at 9:22 PM on Nov. 3, 2008